UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Complete Newbie!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BAD-DIY'ER No1

Hi All, New to the forums and hoping you guys can help me through what will be a good number of small tiling jobs over the next few weeks. Absalutely NO experience of tiling before, read a few articles, and watched some youtube stuff but was hoping you guys could give me much more specific advice?

Job 1, only comprises of abou 16-20 tiles in total but still daunting. It's splashback for a corner sink in a small cloakroom.

Take a look! :smilewinkgrin:

photo (1) - Copy - Copy.jpg

So here's where I could REALLY do with some advice, suggestions etc.

The sink measures 42.5cm. Tiles I have are 10x10 and made from Stone (I think), I also have a 'mosiac sheet' which I have cut to use as a decorative trim type thing. Want to use 1 Stone tile then a row of the mosaic tiles then another stone tile...

photo.jpg

Using 4 full tiles and allowing for the spacers I have I come up at 40.5cm which doesnt look right, going a full 5 tiles makes it too much of an over hang, and again doesnt look right! ON top of that the mosaic tiles are glass, and I dont think I can cut them meaning I need to use full lenths of them giving me 44.5cm, a 2cm overhang which looks the best option? This means I need to cut quite a slim slice of the stone tiles to line it up!!!:mad2:

I'm not sure on most of it, so any advice massively welcome? Should I put the cut tiles in the corner or ont he edge? Do I need anything special to cut these type of tiles? How much of a gap should I leave between the top of the sink and the first tile, do I grout that gap afterwards or use a silicon sealer, same in the corner?

Thanks for anything you can offer,

A nervous newbie!!!

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 44
B

BAD-DIY'ER No1

Cheers nybor62, do I need a wet cutter or a grinder for the stone tiles aswell as the glass bits then? Will the scoring and snaping not work? Can you let me know if I need to grout the bottom of the tiles, where they meet to ceramic of the sink, or do I just leave a gap and then use silicon? and same question for the corner? do I leave a gap and grout/silicon or do I butt the tiles up to each other?

B

BAD-DIY'ER No1

Hi All, and many thanks for your advise....So I need primer - Will this one do the job? -http://www.*************/p/mapei-tile-adhesive-primer-1kg/87305?_requestid=1898811

Also mentioned I need a particular adhesive as the boarder is glass? Can I use the same stuff for the stone tiles also? Assume with the mosaic tiles I need to use an all-in-one adhesive and grout as the adhesive just pushes through the mesh - is this also correct?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Complete Newbie!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.