UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Complete novice considering travertine wall tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

subehai71

Love the look of travertine wall tiles 10x10cm but so much negative feedback from people I have spoken to. Had a quick look through the stone tiling forum but a lot is for flooring and larger tiles. We have a few sockets on the wall, what would the best way to cut them. Tried an angle grinder with a diamond blade-cut fine but tile split. HELP! Any threads I should be reading to aid in our decision to choose these tiles? Or does anyone know of a ceramic tile which has a similar travertine effect as the ones i have come across don't match up to the real thing. We're looking at unfilled ones. Thanks

B

bugs183

Hiya!
Some manufacturers sell tiles similar to un filled travertine, but only travertine really looks like travertine!
Go on Tradetiler.com and buy a 'squadro' wheel for your angle grinder, this wheel will easily do all the cuts you need.
Be sure to seal these tiles properly, it is at this stage where you get the problems.
Go on the net and buy 'Fila Filafob', and 'Fila satin effect wax'. Fix the tiles on the wall. Allow to dry, wash and clean all the tiling work,removing all residual adhesive, now apply filafob in 2-3 coats. Grout up, allow to dry apply one more coat of filafob, allow to dry and apply 2-3 coats of satin wax.

T

Topshop

Use a wet saw to cut the travertine and you have a better chance of not cracking it. Do NOT use wax on any natural stone - natural stones need to breathe. Use a penetrating sealer before grouting to make the grout clean-up easier. Then seal the grout after it has had time to cure properly and allow any moisture to escape.

Not to put down the abilities of those who do (they simply don't know any better) but in the world of stone and those who know stone - the general rule is Wax is for hacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike Mike

Subehai,
Travertine is a lovely stone and quite easy to work with, although the very small tile size you like mean that you need to be very careful when cutting, either with a grinder or a wet saw. Don't cut a finger or thumb off!

It's a very soft stone so try and avoid having to make thin cuts as it will break whatever kind of cutter you are using. Can you experiment with the setting out so you avoid or minimise difficult cuts?

Make sure you use a cementious WHITE adhesive. Don't use grey or it will stain the stone and ruin them.

Trowel the adhesive onto the wall but before fixing the tiles spread a thin layer on the back of every tile with the flat side of your trowel to fill all the voids.

Are these tiles on a mesh sheet, or individual tiles? If on a mesh, then use a rubber grout float to press them flat against the wall and into the adhesive. If you try and do it with your hands you will end up with tiles that are not flat and don't look good.

Also, if they are on a mesh (this applies to any tiles on a mesh, from mosaic to these travertine 10 x 10's) stagger the sheets on every new row i.e. don't lay one sheet directly above another all the way up the wall. Over a large area you tend to see wider and wider grout lines and from a distance you can see where the sheets are. If you stagger them then you won't have this problem.

I personally never seal travertine before grouting, especially as these are unfilled and need the grout to fill all the voids on the front face. I see others have recommended sealing before grouting, not sure what benefit(s) it gives them, maybe they can elaborate??

Chose an appropriate coloured grout as the grout will actually end up being about 20% of the tile's surface colour when all the voids on the face are filled with it!
Mapei do a comprehensive range. Tile shop can help you.

Ceramic tiles are more practical and harder wearing than travertine e.g. they won't stain if they get orange juice spilled on them, or fat and grease from cooking, whereas travertine will. Also, you need to re-seal travertine in line with the manufacturer's recommendations.

But ceramic or porcelain NEVER look or feel like stone, because no two stone tiles are the same.

Pick what you like the most, and give it a go!

T

Topshop

Not just limestone - it applies to all natural stone. Do you honestly believe that the stone suppliers and manufacturers have your best interest in mind when they apply topicals onto a natural stone? They want it to fail so you will buy more later. They could care less about maintenance.

I usually use Stonetech Bulletproofer on most of my installs it is a good sealer, non enhancing, won't act like a topical unless over applied, doesn't stink, and has large solids to help seal porus stones.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Complete novice considering travertine wall tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am in the process of tiling with subways and just wanted some help with corners, if trim...
Replies
Views
Hi had bathroom refurbished 4/5 years ago. A few years ago I noticed a vertical crack on tiles...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Dear TilersForum Thank you so much for the outstanding advice and expert information over time...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.