Discuss Complete re-do in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

N

needinghelp

Hi ALL

We recently had a ret room fitten but it has turned out wrong, the floor is moving and the mosaic tiles are cracking up the shower area is also moving and when in the shower water runs under the glass screen. it has gone terribly wrong

now it is laid on 18mm floor boards which were in an awfull state and then had a 3mm ply put over the top then tilled but it hasnt worked, the guy who did it wants to put it right, we have spoken and he asked me if i could find out what would be the best to re do the floor with? and what is a good wet room tray as he used a foam one and it seems to be moving, i did find out that with a foam tray if using mosaics that 50mm is the limit and he has used 25mm

so what will be the best to rip out the floor boards and re new with ? and what is a good wet room tray

any help will be really appreciated as he is a genuine guy who has just made a mistake

Thanks

Sean

N

needinghelp

sounds an absolute shambles,personally i wouldnt let him have ANOTHER GO

I know it does sound a shambles and it probably is but legally i have to let him put it right which is the correct way, he has said he wants to get it right so i have to let him have the chance but if anyone can give advice on what to replace the items listed above with i would appreciate it as i can show him what people recomend and i am sure he will do it right this time

if i dont let him do it i will have to pay someone again and wont be able to get a penny back so i ahve to do it this way

Many thanks

Sean

I

Ian

Sean the problem is that wet room fitting requires extensive knowledge and training, from a tiling point of view it is probably one of the most technical processes. I/we could write lengthy posts giving you a step by step guide on how to complete the job and which materials to use but, it's one of those things that can not be completed form written guidance alone. Judging from your opening post some very basic mistakes have been made in the preparation stage that has led to a catastrophic failure. You need to get a tiler in with experience in wet rooms to do this job or you will be back here again with the same complaint.

N

needinghelp

Hi Brian

The guy in question is actually an excellent tiller but he hasnt done wet rooms he didnt say this, but hey ho i dont have the money to pay for it doing again. Legally i have to give him a chance

the floor boards are shot and he thought he coud strenghen them which didnt work, so what boards flooring does this need replacing with?
the wet room tray was a foam one is there a better on as below this he did put battons along the joists and in fill with 25mm ply and added knoggings so i think he did some right but the 25mm mosaics are not to be used on the foam trays, i have researched this and it says 50mm min

i have told him this and he has appologised and said he wats to get it right he has also said he is bringing another guy who has done them before, but if i have the knowledge on how it should be done then i can show him and hopefully get it right

Hope you can help as i dont have the money to pay for it doing again and i have to give him his chance

by the way the rest of the room is stunning and the kitchen tilling he di is exemplory

Thanks

Sean

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Sean the problem is that wet room fitting requires extensive knowledge and training, from a tiling point of view it is probably one of the most technical processes. I/we could write lengthy posts giving you a step by step guide on how to complete the job and which materials to use but, it's one of those things that can not be completed form written guidance alone. Judging from your opening post some very basic mistakes have been made in the preparation stage that has led to a catastrophic failure. You need to get a tiler in with experience in wet rooms to do this job or you will be back here again with the same complaint.

Amen to that brother, perfectly put Bri

N

needinghelp

Why don't you recommend to your tiler that he comes on here to have a look for the advice that he needs?

Or maybe he has contacts that can do the correct prep work, and he can then just do your tiling, maybe.

Thanks Martyn

He doesnt have the internet and if i do this i will understand what needs doing so i can check on it being done and make sure he does it right, not saying i could do the job but i do know how to check something

Thanks

Sean

I

Ian

Thanks Guys, I understand what you are saying and I am in this mess but Legally I have to let him put it right.

So a simple question if you can see your way to answer

the floor boards are shot what should these be replaced with ?

after he has replace all the floor and made it 100% solid then what is a good wet room tray ?

this will help lots

Many thanks

Sean

Ok, strip the floor back to the joists, reinforce with extra noggins.
Screw 25mm ply to the joists.
ontop of this fix 6mm marmox or hardiebacker, glued and screwed with SPF.
you now need to ensure the floor is water tight, tanking is a must IMO.
With regards to the tray, google PHG wetrooms and choose from their site, they are spot on. Don't forget to follow the installation instructions to the letter.

B

bugs183

Your not a million miles away from Schluter, up in Coalville near Loughborough.
Why not give them a bell, they'll put you on the right track, their systems are very good, i've never had any issues with their wetroom products, but...
It will cost to put this right, and its down to you and your tiler, but this won't be cheap, no wetroom done properly is.
If you are on a budget, bin the wetroom plan replace the boards and fit a shower tray.

N

needinghelp

Sean. Are you sure it is not you who has done this but are too embarrassed to come clean..... Up to you really .....

To be honest if it was me who had done this i would have been on here before the job was done as I wouldnt even think about tackling a job I hadnt done before without taking advice first.
Iactually paid 4k for a 5sq mt bathroom doing

Have the walls been tanked Sean?

When the job was done he put some adheasive down and he put a membrane over this adhesive and rolled it so it was flat and he went about 500mm up the walls to make a tank well that what he called it, should he have done all the walls to the ceiling?

Ok, strip the floor back to the joists, reinforce with extra noggins.
Screw 25mm ply to the joists.
ontop of this fix 6mm marmox or hardiebacker, glued and screwed with SPF.
you now need to ensure the floor is water tight, tanking is a must IMO.
With regards to the tray, google PHG wetrooms and choose from their site, they are spot on. Don't forget to follow the installation instructions to the letter.

Hi Brian

Many thanks for this, so after the floor is removed and the 25mm ply is done he is to use spf which when i googled it this is a tile adhesive, so does he put a layer down and then put the marmox over this and screw as well?

after this the floor will be about 32 ish mm above the recess for the wet room tray does he do the same in there by adding the marmox where the tray is going to sit or does he pack this area with ply ?

then I take it after the floor he uses the membrane and re tiles again ?

But many thanks so far guys I can see he has missed very important preperation

Regards

Sean

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
3mm ply ?

Yeah i'm astill stumped at that one

To be honest if it was me who had done this i would have been on here before the job was done as I wouldnt even think about tackling a job I hadnt done before without taking advice first.
Iactually paid 4k for a 5sq mt bathroom doing

When the job was done he put some adheasive down and he put a membrane over this adhesive and rolled it so it was flat and he went about 500mm up the walls to make a tank well that what he called it, should he have done all the walls to the ceiling?

Hi Brian

Many thanks for this, so after the floor is removed and the 25mm ply is done he is to use spf which when i googled it this is a tile adhesive, so does he put a layer down and then put the marmox over this and screw as well?

after this the floor will be about 32 ish mm above the recess for the wet room tray does he do the same in there by adding the marmox where the tray is going to sit or does he pack this area with ply ?

then I take it after the floor he uses the membrane and re tiles again ?

But many thanks so far guys I can see he has missed very important preperation

Regards

Sean

To be completely honest (and maybe a little blunt, sorry in advance) but:

Completely agree with the fact that you have to give him a chance to put it right, but that doesn't mean he should be doing the labour. Certainly if he is not upto the job. I'm dumbfounded, i don't think you need to be a tiler to understand that 3mm ply would be of no advantage to strengthen your floor. Even less so if the floor was already in "an awlful state". I'm making the presumption that this was orginally a shower room. Otherwise there'd be a need to remove floor boards to alter or install waste pipes. Why wasn't the floor repaired in the first place?

I'm also a little confused, and someonbe else has mentioned this. But, accepting that you want to know how it should be done to ensure you have a room fit for purpose. But, why isn't your tiler seeking this advice himself? Are there really people that don't have internet? How does this guy run his business? I'd be lost without my laptop and wi-fi.

In my opinion 4k is cheap for a wetroom install. Did you get 3 or 4 quotes in before employing your tiler? If so how did the others compare? Having a bathroom or kitchen are, i feel the most important and expensive home individual home improvement anyone can do. They are the two rooms that gets the most use. They have to be desireable but also practical and most of all sustainable. It wouldn't cost 4k to wall-paper the living room if you get what i mean.

Was this how the install was described when the guy came round for a look to quote? It's the 3mm ply overlay that's getting me. Common sense should tell anyone it's insufficient. With mosaics as well?:mad2:

If his finished tiling looks good then maybe that shows care, which is an excellent trait to have as a tiler. Maybe lacking in experience. If it was me and see if you could consider subbing someone else to "assist" him with the install. Get your tiler to pay the subby labour plus materials. Everybodies happy and your tiler learns a bit. Wetrooms are a whole can of nasty worms if done incorrectly.

Honestly not intending to be brash. I hope you get things sorted.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Complete re-do in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB