Discuss Concentrating On Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

philrab66

Hi all
I have been a self employed handyman for around 4 years and tackled loads of different sort of jobs. I always feel I have to rush because I always under price the job. I have been thinking recently that I would like to stick to doing 1 thing. I have a lot of carpentry/ joinery experience but only at handyman level I guess. I can do most things to a decent standard if I could not I would not take the job on. Anyway I have been thinking should I get into tiling at least I could set myself a £per (m) . This is one reason I want to move onto something else, my challenge is not doing the work but pricing the job . I have tiled a few bathrooms and kitchen floors and they are acceptable but not to a professional standard. I understand that it is not an easy jump I would have so much to learn. Has anybody else made a move like this?
Thanks Phil.

P

philrab66

I suppose I really want to get away from the small jobs. I have been working for a landlord for the last few months doing 3 total refurbs and it is much better to have a decent bit of cash at the end of the week instead of little bits here and there . I am charging him a hourly rate have got around 4-6 weeks left with him.So I have been pondering the best way forward, well looking at options I guess. My main problem is I will go to look at a job and think it will take me this long to do, charge them so much per hour, But if it is only a couple of hours by the time I go and quote then I normally go over job mentally to make sure I have everything so not making extra trips, go and do it, you think to yourself is it worth it. I know people will say charge a minimum but people wont pay say £75 to put up a curtain pole for instance. Anyway rant over . The joys of self employment.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You have to consider the fact that once you're charging the same price as a skilled experienced wall and floor tiler, you need to be one.

I'd seriously consider doing a wall and floor tiling course at a good established training centre. Check they provide a segment on pricing up the job. They should all provide advice on what adhesives to use in various situations.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Concentrating On Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB