Discuss Concrete floor with plywood around radiator pipes (mixed substrate) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi

Apologies for what i'm sure is a pretty obvious question:

I'm about to do my second ever tiling job - the kitchen of our new-ish build flat (built 2002).

On taking up the old vinyl tiles I found that the floor around the radiator pipes is plywood - level with the concrete. Each piece of wood is about 10cm x 25cm.

The tiles are large format porcelain (1200x600mm) and, on the advice of BAL I'd bought Bal Stone & Tile PTB.

I've had a number of conflicting bits of advice for how to handle the different surfaces:

1. BAL technical advice said I'd need an expansion joint and probably Ditra matting.

2. Topps Tiles said I wouldn't need any Ditra matting or expansion joint - that it was fine just to tile directly over the wood because I'm using a flexible adhesive.

3. Another tiling shop (from which I'm buying the tiles) said I wouldn't need Ditra mat but would need Bal Admix AD1 at a 1:3 ratio for the wooden section.

4. Schluter said I'd need Ditra matting through the whole kitchne.

Any advice? I'm planning to prime the floor after clearing the glue properly with SBR primer. The kitchen is approx 3m x 4m in size.

Really would appreciate your expert guidance!

Re: Concrete floor with plywood around radiator pipes (mixed substrate

Hi guys - thanks so much for the advice. All sounds great and really is much appreciated.

The ply seems pretty solid and is screwed down.

Do you think the Mapetex would make for problems with uneven height or is it ok?

Can't seem to get a picture to upload here but I've posted one of the kitchen floor here: tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rhv1wp&s=8#.VFqyKFOsW2w

Thanks again for your advice - hugely grateful..

Thanks all for your advice - really much appreciated.

One last question: rather than using the Ditra lining do you think would it be more cost effective / simpler for me just to pop out the plywood and fill in the void with cement then prime and use self-levelling compound over the whole floor before tiling?

Many thanks again.

S

Simon benn Leeds

I'm with Andy. My own cynical view of the advice given is:
1. BAL obviously hedging their bets
2. Technical advice from Topps :lol:
3. Not particularly wrong
4. Well Schluter would say that
If the 10" x 4" pieces of ply are loose, take them out and fill the void with some rapid set.
Love number 2!...haha ha

S

Simon benn Leeds

For what it is I'd tile over it, if it's next to the radiators I imagine there won't be a lot of foot traffic anyway, I use an adhesive called benferflex C2 which in a non rapid fibre reinforced highly thixotropic adhesive which can be used directly onto wooden boards, (personally I seem to use flexible on pretty much all flooring, only a pound or two more per bag).

Also can I just ask, are you confident installing 1200x600s on your 2nd tiling job??.
Not easy for the seasoned tiler

Cheers lads. Yes - tiled now and looks great. Thanks again for the advice! I put on a few coats of primer. No problems so far but bought a couple of extra tiles as a precaution... 1200x600mm tiles were a bit of a handful in the end but look good.. Will report back if any cracks appear in case it helps anyone else looking back at this thread. So far so good.

O

Old Mod

Cheers lads. Yes - tiled now and looks great. Thanks again for the advice! I put on a few coats of primer. No problems so far but bought a couple of extra tiles as a precaution... 1200x600mm tiles were a bit of a handful in the end but look good.. Will report back if any cracks appear in case it helps anyone else looking back at this thread. So far so good.

Kool!
Any photos of floor?.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Concrete floor with plywood around radiator pipes (mixed substrate) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB