Discuss Confidence in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MSB Tiling

Just wondering if youve ever lost confidence in your ability to tile?

Ive been tiling 5 years now, not in a big headed way but im a good tiler.

Made two mistakes on a job 3 weeks ago, it cost me £200.

This is the first time this has happened to me whilst ive been self employed.

But all of a sudden I cant seem to get simple things right, my confidence has completly gone.

Please tell me if gets better.

T

Time's Ran Out

You don't say how long you have been Self Employed and as the 'mistakes' only cost you £200-00 it's not the end of the world.
But if you show a lack of confidence in estimating - you wont get any work, and if you show a lack of confidence in undertaking the work - that customer can seize on this to apply pressure to your business.
You must show that you are enjoying this trade and with enthusiasm that in itself will give you and your customer confidence.
If your not - then how will it get better.

So enjoy!

I

Ian

You'll learn loads of lessons on the way, I've been self employed for 5 years now and still make the odd mistake, but like has already been said, just learn from them.​I would imagine even some of the folk on here that have been tiling 20 years and more will tell you that they still get caught out by the odd thing and make the odd silly mistake. Just don't make the same mistake twice!!!!

M

mattle40

iv had this exact thing on a job iv just finished...
60x30 rectified bright white ceramics, slightly bowed tiles, very bowed walls, 1.5mm spacers! to be fair i thought id done a pretty good job considering. but as soon as i grouted up there were a few shadows (downlighters about 6 inch in from the walls made this inevitable!) plus the way they had decided they wanted the tiled in bath setting out left stupid cuts on the ends, i did explain this but they were adamant they wanted it this way, then the floor tiles were 310mmx310 ceramics but must have hands down been the worst calibrated tiles iv had to use before and they wanted then as tight as poss so i did them by eye, so by the end just about everything was just that bit below MY USUALLY VERY HIGH standard, customer was happy but i was so dissapointed in my work... oh and i ran 2 days over!!!

so confidence is a bit low to say the least....

Last edited by a moderator:
L

les_yorks

I just think everthing is a learning curve, we all make mistakes its a human thing. The main thing is being able to realise that you have made that mistake and that you learn from it. Someone said in a previous post if you are not happy with the walls, tell the customer that it needs putting right. Personally if i dont feel that its going to look good and the customer just wants it doing anyway, then i say iam unable to do it. I know i lose money but i would rather that happen, than risk my reputation.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Confidence in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Bedrock Tiles are proud to announce some seriously climate, complimenting news that we have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Confidence
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.