Discuss confused with solid bed method in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ruth

The project is to lay pale limestone tiles, 12mm thick onto ply (have followed the advice with primed 18mm ply firmly fixed to boards) using Ardex 7001 flex adhesive. I have tried to figure out the next stage ie actually laying the tiles but am getting confused. I know it must be a thick bed solid bed method, but not sure exactly what that means. Do I spread an even layer of adhesive with a solid trowel then go over it with a rounded notched trowel, pressing right though to the board or leaving a few mm of complete coverage of adhesive? Does a 10mm notched trowel have a notch depth of 10mm and width of something greater? Is 10mm the correct size? (tiles of different sizes, largest 610 x 406, smallest 200 x 200)

I am aware of potential issues of permanant marking on the surface of a limestone tile if the under surface is not entirely covered with adhesive. I have read of back buttering the tiles, I presume this means spreading an even layer (assuming the tiles are flat) of adhesive before laying the tile. Is this necessary (I'd have thought more room for variation in adhesive thickness) or will they be sufficiently covered when placed (with a firm twist) onto the trowelled base? If so, how thick a layer?

Finally sealing the tiles, I thought it might be easier and safer to put one coat of sealant on the tiles before they are laid (LTP impregnator), is there any reason not to do this?

I really appreciate your advice, I wouldn't have got this far without it!

A

aph257

Thin Bed thin bed solid Bed.jpg
Thick Bed thick bed solid bed.jpg

if floor is flat, i use a thin bed and back butter, if not then thick bed. if you work clean then use impregnater before and after grout.

D

doug boardley

Ruth a solid bed trowel is the one with the semi circular notches, so a 20mm diameter notch trowel will give you a bed of 10mm (the radius), with a twist of your tiles this probably compresses down to about 5mm of solid adhesive. Back skimmming a tile is using the un-notched side of the trowel and spreading a thin even layer, this ensures that you get no adhesive leaching through onto the face of your tile and also helps to ensure a 100% contact with the adhesive that's spread on the substrate.

S

Stewart

now for the daft question.....but this one has always puzzled me....we back skim tiles to ensure 100% contact and stop adhesive leeching thru to the face of the tile? if we are applying adhesive to the back of tile to stop the spread adhesive from leeching thru what stops the adhesive we have back skimmed leeching thru??

It doesn't matter, as it will all look the same because you've back skimmed.

C

CJ CERAMICS

back skimming is different to back buttering Chris, back buttering is where you comb the back of the tile, thus you can still get ribs showing through. I've always thought that if you back skim, it then allows the addy to disperse more evenly as you're not getting that initial impact of wet addy hitting a dry stone.

thanks doug
the explanation makes sense .....having learn't to tile by working with another tiler he told about skimming to stop leeching etc ....but not how lol

Reply to confused with solid bed method in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Will I be setting myself up to fail if I use the Dunlop CF-03 Flexible Fast Set Tile...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
confused with solid bed method
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks