Discuss Confusion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

sjs888

Hello, i posted this in adhesive forum yesterday but only got one reply so i thought i would try it here.
Hello,
Please forgive me if this information is already out there on these forums as i have searched but not found the exact combination of ingredients i have.

So i have a small kitchen around 2.5 sqm, i removed the previous tiles a couple of years ago, quite alot of them where cracked(i'm not sure this is relevant but have included it for accuracy) anyhow quite alot of adhesive is left behind and it is rock hard, i have chipped alot of it away with a bolster but quite frankly think i would be an old man before i got it anything like level. So i bought a self levelling compound but when i rang the technical helpline to clarify a primer question i had, it turns out the leveller i have is not suitable for a floor with any remaining adhesive. the reason i bought this one is it came in a small 10kg bag and i figured i didn't need alot
So i have cleaned, swept hoovered and mopped the floor with stardrops solution, made a dam around the area i want to be levelled but dont know what products i now need to continue, i have 300x300 absolute black granite to go down but as of now i think i need
1)floor leveller, what type and where from
2) primer? sealer? pva? sbr?
30 do i prime or seal now then level then seal again or leave after levelling?
4)adhesive? what type? the reason i mentioned that the original tiles where cracked earlier was that i wondered if the wrong adhesive type had been used, the floor looks sound and i dont see any signs of movement
5)sealer? when do i seal, before laying? after grouting? both?
i appreciate its alot of questions and look forward to any help you can give me, just as i think i have found a way forward there seems to be a contradiction somewhere

Thanks

Simon

kitchen.JPG

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Sorry can only help with Q5 .i would seal or impregnate your tiles once laid and left to release all moisture,(several days) once fully dry impregnate face and edges of the stone and remove all excess after the saturation time, buff them fully dry. leave minimum 12 hrs to cure and then grout (test your grout release, on a tile or off cut sealed at same time as the floor) , once your grout is fully dry, (can be several days) re impregnate tile and grout with the second coat. maintain with a suitable natural stone cleaner

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
EPSOM
Being that it is a small area...with no movement...If the adhesive that is remaining is as hard as you describe and not too high and bumpy with no loose bits... I would sbr seal and then ( taking your time) use extra adhesive ( flexible) to level out your floor whilst laying making note of your highest spot which will dictate ... (assuming you have Tiled with Granite before)
Good luck

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Confusion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB