Discuss Conservatory and UFH / UTH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

YourTiler

Hi y'all
Been asked to quote for a conny with UTH. That's not the issue
My question is
Does it need insulation boards, heating system and then screeding over the top?
Can't you just lay the UTH onto the finished floor and tile?
The reason I'm asking is 2 fold - Customer on a budget and also she is having doubts about what the builder has told her because of his high quote
I don't know what he is using

I have told her what I would do and am going to quote for that but I would appreciate any input/help into which way is best, acceptable. I want to put her at ease. I have done work for her before so we know each other

Oh yeah he also told her as he'd need 40mm for just the UFH installation the tiler would just lay tiles ONTO the 2 door and patio door Steps??? whatever they are called (all upvc) You know what they are I just don't know what to call them

Thanks

Alan

Y

YourTiler

Cheers guys
The floor will have a sand and cement finish - floated smooth
Cills- that's them. Yes at the moment the floor is approx 40 -50 mm shy of the cills and he said by the time it was all installed it would be a little higher than them so the tiler would just tile straight over them basically making it look like they weren't there
Now that's something I have never heard of. Sounds dodgy to me doing something like that

I

Ian

Cheers guys
The floor will have a sand and cement finish - floated smooth
Cills- that's them. Yes at the moment the floor is approx 40 -50 mm shy of the cills and he said by the time it was all installed it would be a little higher than them so the tiler would just tile straight over them basically making it look like they weren't there
Now that's something I have never heard of. Sounds dodgy to me doing something like that

I wouldnt be happy tiling to UPVC. 40-50mm is alot to build up, even with insulation boards, mat, SLC and tile I wouldn't expect the total thickness to be over 25-30mm.

Y

YourTiler

Bri, at the moment the floor as it stands is about 5mm short of the cills, so anything now isn't going to fit under them,so even with insulation boards,uth and tile I'd just get away with cutting around them. Not the best but can't go backwards
Looking to use 6mm Marmox boards to keep the height down
I don't know why the builder has gone so high with the concrete, he certainly didn't need to

*Amendment.... sorry on previous post I meant to say floor was 40-50mm short to TOP of cills* hence him wanting to build up the floor to tile straight over the upvc cills

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rich

Oh I see what you mean now. That is a huge build up! And tiling over PVC? God knows how he is hoping to make that work.

If it is a screeded floor then there is no reason why you couldnt lay the UFH straight onto the floor and then tile over the top but it really isnt the best way of doing it. I would like to lay the boards, then lay UFH, then SLC over this to give a nice flat surface to tile onto. As said above it will save a lot of money on the energy bills to use the baords. Hardly seems worth paying for the UFH without them as it will take ages to warm up as you will just be heating up the screed for the first couple of hours before it began to warm up the tiles.

Reply to Conservatory and UFH / UTH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, I’ve a fairly basic question I thinks, hope someone can help me out with. I’m...
Replies
Views
Dear Tilers, my husband has done a lot of tiling, but would really like your advice please. He...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Morning all, I have been given the opportunity to quote for a 110m floor in a chevron pattern...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Conservatory and UFH / UTH
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.