Discuss contacting kitchen, conservatory and bathroom fitters in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Falcone

When calling these places how much experience should I tell them I have? should I tell the truth and say I have just finished a course. should I tell them a half truth and say I done a course 2 years ago and am full time tiling now (eventhough i am still working my full time job) or should I blatantly lie and say im time served?

saw an ad on gumtree from kitchen and bathroom fitter in my area looking for Self Employed tilers for regular work. just emailed them but didnt really say how much experience I had.

what would you tell them if you were me?

thanks

Hi Falcone, Don't tell them how long you've been tiling, just tell them that you've just gone it alone....at last. I would say don't advertise but go out to the showrooms etc and introduce yourself and leave a card, hit as many as you can, if the conversation comes up about experience, try this.....I've been tiling on and off for a few years for family and friends but as you decided to go self employed you went on a course to learn the correct ways to set out, to learn about different substrates, adhesives, techniques etc.....not exactly lying, more like blaggin...Mark.

T

tilinga2z

Hi Falcone, firstly mate don't say anything unless somebody pins you down with a direct question. Imagine this scenario, you go in to the hairdressers and they tell you the new lads good he has just finished a course on correct cutting technique..........what would you think!!!!!.
I did have this issue myself and I said to people that I used to be a tiler in the past but gave it up for a few years, now I have started back up and although slower than I was I have the past experience.
This has always sat well with people and if you do take a bit longer they understand why but are not alarmed.
Hope this helps,

R

Raja

Honesty is the Best Policy but doesnt pay the bills. I dont think in ur situation Honesty will get you far. I can slightly gather than you are not naive just use your loaf. U know what i mean. My moto is speak when spoken to and answer when asked even then with a minimal Yes Or No Or i Don't know. When i started aty the age of 19 worked for my friend so was easier for me but if i had to go out and find a job would have said been to college for a year not lied i supose. It is a hard one only you can decide what you say behind closed doors. Best of luck any way mate

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to contacting kitchen, conservatory and bathroom fitters in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, My tiler has just left and apart from him chatting to me about his life story for majority...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I can personally recommend UK Pro Tiling. Darren is a great tutor, the aftercare is great and it...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB