Discuss 'Contaminated' chipboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stuartpaul

During the current festivities my darling wife managed to spill hot cooking oil over the chipboard floor. This was going to be tiled in the near future but I'm now concerned that this oil will now in effect act as a release agent for any adhesive.

Is this the case or will it be OK to tile? I dread the prospect of trying to lift glued and screwed T&G but I'd rather do that than have a failure reasonably early on!

Could I use a 'solvent' wash (white spirit?) in an attempt to dilute/wash away?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Stuart

R

Rookery

I was thinking that too rookery. am I rite in thinking it is only needed on ufh and stone to timber?
I wouldnt say 'only' needed but I would certainly use it over UFH/under stone. It has other properties too, ie tiling sooner onto fresh screeds & waterproofing.
Many people wrongly assume its a substitute for good preparation. It will not stop cracking of grout and tiles if the timber floor has too much movement in it.

In this case its to avoid adding additional 6mm height (as per previous threads)

But as we're not that fussed on the advice re preparation, I don't get the additional fuss re a bit of spillage. My guess would be that the Chipboard would be absorbing whatever was spilt, in the same way the water from the adhesive that you'll be using as well.

The answer that you're looking for is: No. It won't effect it. Crack-on....

B

Bubblecraft

As mentioned above, oil on the chipboard would be the least of your worries. Correct method would be to overlay with a 6mm hardie, glued & screwed. If height is an issue, take out your chipboard & replace with a min of 18mm WBP ply with additional dwangs/noggins.

If you REALLY don't want to go down this route, use a 2 part flexible adhesive (cement based adhesive with a latex compound) to give you the highest flexibility possible. It will adhere to your chipboard and your oil stained area but I cannot guarantee it will not fail. You will have a better adhesion to P5 chipboard flooring (green in colour) as opposed to P4 flooring (brown in colour) as expansion & contraction will be less than standard chipboard but it STILL has movement. Again, your tiles will stick to the chipboard floor but 9 times out of 10, your grout lines & tiles will crack. More so as it is in a high humidity area from cooking, washing machines, tumble dryers & sinks.

This may be a cheaper method right now but I can assure you, replacing this floor after using 2 part adhesive is not a job for the faint hearted & will be a costly fix.

P.S. Dural will not solve your problem. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 'Contaminated' chipboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB