Discuss Correct plywood preparation in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

Brad

Hi all....

Now I know that plywood is not the best substrate to tile onto, especially walls. Problem is that most builders still use the stuff so you just have to make do. Could I get a few comments from those who have been in the trade for some time about preferred methods of substrate preparation prior to tiling onto plywood.

About a year ago I tiled a wall, 600x600 porcelain tiles onto a solid plywood backing. I primed the ply surface with PRIMER-G. Then used MAPEI keraflex. A short while later I had to replace a tile through no fault of my own. Getting the original tile/adhesive off in preparation for the new was quite a task! So my method seemed a good one. What of the tilers out there that warn against priming plywood or maintain that it is not necessary.....

I welcome any comments........

beanz

TF
Berkshire
You're better off speaking directly to adhesive manufacturers about this. I was under the impression that you should never prime the surface of the Ply, but should prime sides and back. I only ever tile onto Ply floors, but i'm slowly going off that idea, and avoid where possible. I assume you're working for other builders when doing these jobs? Are you working under their Public Liability Insurance, or your own?
If i had to tile a Ply wall, i'd be looking at a 2 part addy, but would definitely speak to manufactureres first. ;)

T

tfs

I have seen problems where joints have caused cra cks in floor tiles after being down for a few years. membranes can help where ply cant be avoided.

I too have no confidence in tiling direct to ply these days. It can be a hit and a miss, especially with all the crap ply being brought into the country nowadays. I have seen ply veneer shredding when spreading adhesive in some cases. Despite my concerns I am yet to have a call back due to ply.

Recently my own bathroom floor tiles have risen by a few mm in the area near the bath due movement in ply as a result of water and moisture reaching the sub floor. I will now have to re grout My kids cant have a bath without turning the floor into a swimming pool so next time I will be waterproofing everything before tiling.

Avoid if possible every time or prep over the ply with membrane, cement board etc

P

Peter

Tiled on ply quite a bit before I was able to source backer boards at a good price, and still do tile it from time to time. Malaysian ply, braced to the hilt with taped joints and solid bed fixing. Never really had any problems with it, some adhesive manufacturers say to prime all sides and edges some say just to prime the rear. Main problems I have seen with ply have been cracking along untaped joints, and 18mm ply straight to joists failing due to ordinary flexible rapidset being used, needs to be rubber crumb at the very least.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Correct plywood preparation in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a tiler turning up next week to tile my refurbished bathroom. He always uses Rocatex...
Replies
Views
Bit of an intro - I'm a competent DIYer and have been refurbing the bathroom on and off for the...
Replies
Views
L
Hi everyone. Tiling my bathroom first time and going well so far! 600x300 ceramics on walls and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We had our bathroom fully re-done approx 2 months ago. 1880's property, the previous...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB