Discuss correct sub base for bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

johnnyg

Hi all, new to the forum but hope can get some advice.
I have ripped up the tatty floorboards in my bathroom and replaced with 18mm wbp ply straight on to the joists . I have had to leave a 6inch strip of floorboard down a 2.6m length and a 4inch strip down a 2.3m side, this is because of 2 breeze block partition walls sitting on the boards. I have cut them back to the nearest joists.Have packed the ply where needed so everything is level and well screwed down. The total area to be tiled is 2.6 x 2.3 m.
What i need to ask is whether i should over ply the whole lot with 6mm ply for added security or perhaps glue that orange matting( dont know the correct name, sorry) straight on. Didnt want to build floor level up too high because of threshold problems. The tiles i would like to lay are 600 x 300 porcelain .
Mant thanks in advance,
john

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Johnny, following on from Faithhealers post, I think 6mm is a waste of time in tiling, I hate the stuff. You have done right to use 18mm ply my only question, because you have such large tiles, is what spacing do you have on your joists? it may be wise to re lift your ply (if possible) and put extra noggins in. Also the Ditra/durabase membrane certainly will not harm and will give more security if you are happy with the extra cost.

Good luck, keep us informed. :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to correct sub base for bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Greetings All, appreciate the expertise existing in this forum. I am a home remodeler, not a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB