Discuss Correcting a customer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I did a litte hallway today for a chap I've worked for a couple of times. I did the bathroom a couple of weeks ago and did all the silicone work (as I normally do) only to find today when I had a look in the bathroom he has taken all my lovely neat silicone out from all the internals and around the bath, and replaced it with grout :yikes: I really want to ask why, but not sure I want to hear the answer, he's a mechanic and the house is going to be rented so why would he think grout is a better sealer than silicone????? Answers below please :lol:

R

Rich

I have had customers in the past asking for no silicone because it looks so messy, I told them that it doesnt when it is done properly. I had to fight my socks off for them to let me use the stuff!!

Also I have lost track of how many times I have herd people say that they have done their own tiling and didnt need to use silicone because they used flexible grout.

But still, it is beyond me why anybody would remove the silicone and replace with grout.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
if hes a machanic you should of looked at it, took a deep breath and said......oooohhh looks a bit dodge that does mate, wouldnt want to run the shower to long with corners like that, needs fixing right away that dose, could be an expensive job now mate what with the price of materials and things, and then theres the labour charge, course our hourly rate is better than these big firms there just out to rip you off they are, and as its you we'll give a special rate, is that alright mate, so leave it to me and we'll get cracking (not the tiles).......i hope.

T

tfs

Mate, I know how you feel.

I cant believe the number of guys telling me how to tile onto substrates, reccomending that I should be mixing PVA with my adhesive, or with paint to decorate plastered walls etc. One in particular says the primers such as Primer G are a load of rubbish and that PVA is the way it should be done:lol:

I have been working with some older guys recently (this is not ageism) and it seems this is how they were taught but they dont seem to want to be taught by me or anyone else these days when its suggested that they use the correct primers rather than pva.

Worth mentioning that these guys were not tilers and although I have been hired to do their tiling, they seem to know best as to how tiling is done.:lol:

Reply to Correcting a customer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi all, As per the title, my tiler has grouted the internal corners of our new shower enclosure...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Correcting a customer
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.