UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Cracking tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wivers

I just went to a house to see a job that came in. The lady said that she wasn't sure if she needed her whole bathroom tiled or if the tiles that where on could be chipped out and replaced. There where six tiles in the shower area that had a hairline crack runing right through the middle of them left to right. I'm not quite sure what causes this? I have a rough idea that its movement from the substrait which i belive was plaster board. Can anyone confirm this?

Also their grout had cracked all over the place, i know that if you use an unflexible grout on wood etc this happens, but how does it happen in the middle of the tiling on solid wall?

L

Leatherface

Hi mate - it is very likely that if there are hairline cracks in the shower area, then excess moisture will have seeped through onto the substrate behind - If so all the tiles would best be removed & the walls allowed to dry out, if plaster - or if plasterboard, then this will have to be replaced. Advise tanking before setting of new tiles.
Sorry have no idea about cracked grout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Ye, I agree. I wouldn't bother patching up, it'll be your fault they've blown again if they do, which they probably will without really fixing the problem, which quite rightly as you suggested is more than likely the substrate failing somehow.

Upsell yourself and suggest you correct this problem long-term with methods and materials available now that were not when it was once done. Assuming the tiles have been on for some time?!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cracking tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello need some help had a new bathroom done though a builder and the tiling does not look like...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
We had our kitchen floor tiled in large plank-style porcelain tiles (90cm x 15cm) about 2 years...
Replies
Views
Last Dec tiled a small conservatory (13m) with 600mm porcelain tiles. Prior to tiling another...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.