UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Crackle glazed tiles in shower. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I have a customer that has had his shower tiled in crackle glazed tiles.

When the shower is turned on, water comes through into the hallway. Various tests have determined that the silicone seal around the shower tray is ok. The water seems to be going through the grout on the wall that the shower is attached to. The customer ran the shower again whilst the tiles were covered in polythene. Again, there was no leak.

He is not on good terms with his builder/tiler so all the questions I am asking cannot be answered.

The chances are that the walls are not tanked.
I do not know the substrate.
I do not know what brand of adhesive or what grout is used.

The tile manufacturer stated that the tiles did not need sealing.

I left the customer today, and asked him to do a water test on a spare tile. I am awaiting results.

My hunch is that the water is going through the grout.

These tiles are made in Tunisia, and are very expensive. Tiling the wall again will cost hundreds of £.

I was thinking of a regrout. If the grout came out easily I would grout with normal grout, and seal the grout & tile with Seal Guard. Or, maybe I could use epoxy grout?

What do you guys & girls think?

Thanks
Sean

Q

Qwerty

If the tiles are soaking up and releasing water that fast, then that means that they should also dry up overnight (or after a good few hours too). If the water starts running after 4 minutes, then I suspect that something else is amiss in addition to the unsealed tiles. Is the waste or tray leaking at all??? What height does the water appear at in the hallway.......does it match the first run of tiles, or below this? Any photos mate?

The customers water test should give a better idea

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Kilty, the customer is an engineer. He has done many tests on this shower. It only leeks when the water hits the tiles that are just below the shower controls. I.e. it has been tested with the shower running into the shower tray and the tiles covered up. It passed this test. This means that the pipework and trap are ok. I'll report back to the customer tonight and give him all the options. Would a sealer (like Seal Guard) really keep water from penetrating the tiles/grout? Cheers Sean

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Kilty, I agree with you. However, there could be a chance that the wall was made of Hardiebacker or something similar. Would this not mean that the wall would still be pretty sound. There is no hint of mouldy smells and no hollow sounding tiles.
This Sherlock Holmes quote springs to mind with with case: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?".

This customer really wants to save his tiles. He is now thinking of removing the wall behind the tiles i.e. the wall in the landing. This might show were the leak is coming from.

One way or another we will get to the bottom of this. Will let you know. Cheers for your input.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Went round to see customer today. I tipped a teaspoon of water onto the middle of a tile. There was no surface tension on the water, and slowly the water disappeared into the tile.
I then coated the tile with Seal Guard sealer. Waited 20 mins and repeated. I then performed the same water test. This time the water stayed on the surface of the tile. 2 hours later the water was still sitting on the tile. These crackle glaze tiles are not waterproof! The French supplier said that they were ok for showers!

I have now coated the shower walls with 4 coats of sealer. The customer will turn on the shower on Saturday.

I did advise the customer that this 'fix' is not guaranteed to work, but hopefully it will.

Cheers
Sean

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Result... let's hope it lasts.. you did tell her to be careful what she cleans them with, so not to reduce sealer life.

Yep, told them not to use anything abrasive or acid based cleaners. I left them some sealer too. I think they will be quite careful with their tiles, they cost a fortune.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Crackle glazed tiles in shower. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Sean Kelly

Arms
TF
Ruislip

Thread Information

Title
Crackle glazed tiles in shower.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.