Discuss Crunch time - bathroom & wetroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

velcro

TF
Hello all.

It's close to crunch time, and after having read lots of advise from the site (it's not fair to single out individuals when there's so much good stuff here, but many thanks to wetdecs for his postings)

I've got a bathroom & a wetroom to tile.

The bathroom is on the 1st floor, with green plasterboard walls and a 25mm OSB floor on oak beams (I'm guessing they must be about 6" square) running the length of the bathroom (about 3m) with a solid stone wall supporting 1 end, and a 12"x10" oak beam supporting the other. The beams are on 60cm centres.

The bathroom is actually a shower room - no bath in sight. The shower tray is a low profile stone/resin placed directly onto the OSB with a hole cut for the waste.

The floor tiles are 34cmx34cm porcelain from a decent tile shop. The wall tiles (for the shower cubicle & basin splashback only) are 60cmx30cm ceramic from a DIY shed (Wickes ... I know, I shouldn't have, but it's too late now).

I'm planning to cut the floor tiles into the quadrant tray, cutting the curve with a Marcrist CC750 on my little angle grinder. I haven't decided yet on 45deg or square, but probably square. The w/c & basin pedestal will be placed on top of my tiling. Planning to prime the OSB & then use BAL Single Part Flexible with 3mm spacers and a BAL Solid Bed trowel (half moon type).

Q. I'm not planning to tank the floor. Is this OK?

For the shower cubicle, I'm planning to use silicone to seal between the tray & the plasterboard, then tank with BAL WP1, with 10cm tape for the corner, before tiling with the tile horizontal & a 2mm spacer.

Q. Do I use the tape to try to get a small lip from the wall over the edge of the tray?

Q. The BAL instruction is to use either a brush or a trowel to apply the stuff. Any advice on which is easier? I've got a nice stainless plastering trowel - would the WP1 ruin it, or is it a good choice?

I plan to finish walls & floor with BAL Superflex, with silicone for the corner joint & tile to tray joint.

Q. What gap should I leave in the corner & between bottom tile & the tray?

I'll post my plans for the wetroom later ... time to get back to work.

(and I'll post pictures as & when I start to make progress)

Last edited:

velcro

TF
I wouldnt tile direct to OSB firstly.

Why's that Neale? Too much flex? It seems very solid. The OSB is at the same level as the wood floor on the landing, so anything I put under the tiles is going to give me a step up (I'm already reconciled to a step up to the tiles, but would like to avoid anything else. Would noggins added underneath be an alternative?

No need to tank floor. Does the shower have a screen ?
Good news. The shower is a full cubicle, so the only water on the floor should be from dripping bodies.

I would use a membrane to tank with, easier and cleaner...also better IMO.
I did wonder, but WP1 is what I've got, so WP1 is what it's going to be :)

velcro

TF
Wetroom:

The wetroom is on the ground floor, with an anhydrite screed floor & green plasterboard.
It's 2m x 3m with the shower in one corner.

The shower tray is a Marmox Showerlay 1000x1000 with trap, set into the screed. I'm not planning any screen - the shower will be in the corner of the room & completely open to the bathroom. The shower is not a power shower (simple large 6" rose on a fixed pipe at about 2m10 from the floor), but it's fed from a closed (mains pressure) DHW system.

I will be priming with BAL APD & using the BAL WP1 and 10cm tape (no matting) to tank, taping the wall-wall and wall-floor corners in the shower corner, and the Marmox-screed join.

Q. How far out & how high do I tank?

The floor tiles will either be 34x34 or 30x30 porcelain (not decided which to use where yet, but they're both from a decent tile shop, and are graded by size to the mm, so I'm guessing that they're good quality). 3mm spacers. I'm guessing that the 30x30 will be easier, but I'll be using wetdec's guide http://www.tilersforums.com/tanking-wetrooms/37563-cutting-tiles-wetroom-floor-former-envelope.html
which I hope will make life easier than I had originally feared.

I'll be using Parexlanko Prolifluide addy (it's french & designed to be laid directly on anhydrite screed, although a lot of the floor will already be primed & tanked).

The wall tiles will be 40x30 ceramic tiles, as per bathroom above (DIY shed), with a 2mm spacer.

Q. What addy should I use for the walls, and what trowel?

Last edited:

velcro

TF
Well, I've finally got the 2 bathrooms finished. Here are some pictures:
20110101_147.jpg 20110101_141.jpg 20110101_140.jpg 20110101_150.jpg

The wetroom (1st & last picture) has a marmox showerlay former with marmox boards on top of a 25mm OSB floor. It's all tanked with BAL WP1. The floor tiles are 30x30 porcelaine with 3mm joints using Technocolors anthracite grout (from an Italian firm called Technokolla) & Mapei AC anthracite silicone.

The walls are ceramic DIY shed 40x30 with 2mm joints using Mapei jasmine grout & sililcone.

You guys were a great help, and both rooms are much better than they would have been without you, but my next efforts will be better still.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Crunch time - bathroom & wetroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB