UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss CSCS....Q&A for builders/tilers.. etc......... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

CSCS cards: a Q&A for builders..etc..

The Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) is a way of proving that everyone on a building site is qualified to do the job.
Tradesmen and women have to be formally qualified to receive a CSCS card and more than one million people have signed-up with the scheme since it started in 1995. Our quick guide explains the benefits of having a CSCS card – and how to get one.

I’m only a small builder – how does this affect me?
Homeowners won’t ask to see proof of your qualifications via a CSCS card for small domestic jobs. But if you win a subcontract package on a sizeable construction site, the main contractor will often insist you have a fully-carded workforce. Any job run by the 14 members of the Major Contractors Group will demand 100% membership of CSCS. Employing people who are qualified under the scheme also offers you a guarantee of their skills.
Sounds like a good thing to have. How do I get one?
You can apply by [DLMURL="http://www.cscs.uk.com/RunScript.asp?page=80&p=ASP\Pg80.asp"]downloading a form directly from the CSCS website[/DLMURL].
What happens then?
The first stage of the process is to pass a basic health and safety test at one of a network of online test centres. Tests can be booked directly.
Ok I’ve passed that, what’s the next stage?
You now have to show proof of being qualified in your chosen trade to NVQ standard. You may have to sit new exams or be tested at work if you are an experienced worker.
So if I’ve been doing the job a long time - I don't have to take more exams?
No, not necessarily. If you are an experienced tradesperson with no formal qualifications an assessor can watch you at work and convert your skills into an appropriate NVQ qualification. This is known as On-Site Assessment and Training (OSAT), or Experienced Worker Practical Assessment (EWPA). Both these routes can cost more than £500 per employee to pay for the assessors’ time but the fees can be claimed back in grants from ConstructionSkills. Find out if you're suitable for these routes here.
How much does it cost to get a card?
All basic CSCS cards cost £25 and it costs £17.50 to sit the health and safety test. Extra costs start to ramp up if you go down the OSAT and EWPA test routes (explained above).
Are there different types of card?
Yes – there are nine different coloured cards in all covering everyone you would find on site from trainees to senior managers. The full range of cards and the occupations covered are listed here.
I’ve been offered a fake CSCS card down the pub, is it worth having?
No. The scheme administrators have vowed to bring the police in whenever forgeries are discovered
It still seems a lot of effort to get qualified. Can’t I just ignore the whole scheme?
Of course you can but CSCS is becoming the industry standard and finding work on site will become increasingly difficult without it. A card is proof that you can do the job and without one you will lose work worth far more than the cost of qualification.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

stehanson

Hi Just found this site via google while searching for info on CSCS cards (im a Decorator)

I dont have an NVQ, however I did go to Preston college in Lancashire, and did a foundation construction award in painting and decorating the first year which was 2 days a week, the second year I did the Intermediate Construction award (again the painting and decorating route 2, days a week) - Passed both and have certification via city and guilds also a full college portfolio, and I gained distinctions in my exams / knowledge tests, which shows my compotency, and ability.
Ive also done the health and safety exam (passed)

Im self employed and have been for a while, ive recently come to apply for the CSCS card so I can go for some site work, however they tell me as its not an NVQ I can only have a trainee card (red) and will have to either do an NVQ at college, or pay to be assessed on the job!! - is this right?
Now I feel my qualifications are not really worth the paper they are written on, and dont really wish to have to spend £500 to be assessed to NVQ standard, when I have already done two years college previously and have a level 2 City and Guilds qualification!
Seems to me like the card scheme (If what Im told is correct) is ridicilous, and a money making scam, by only allowing people with an NVQ in, and telling others with similar qualifications they need to also do an NVQ or pay for an assessment! - seens as most higher level learning colleges do the FCA/ICA/ACA this scheme kind of excludes anyone who has gone the college route soley, rather than working for a company and doing an NVQ part time at college.
Worst of all is the fact that as part of the second year at college you do the H&S exam so you can go for the card!!

Has anyone any information on this which may be of help to me??

S

stehanson

Just seems absolutly ridicilous that after doing two years at college gaining city and guilds qualifications at levels 1/2, which incidentally are also awarded in conjunction with CITB, then as part of the course you undertake the H&S test only to apply for a card to be told - oh you also need to do an NVQ now!! (which is the same level qualifications as iv'e got) or you can pay and have an on site assessment done for approx £500 - what a con - only in this country that we used to call Great Britain, the Great part fell out years ago imo!!!

Ste.

G

Gazzer

Just seems absolutly ridicilous that after doing two years at college gaining city and guilds qualifications at levels 1/2, which incidentally are also awarded in conjunction with CITB, then as part of the course you undertake the H&S test only to apply for a card to be told - oh you also need to do an NVQ now!! (which is the same level qualifications as iv'e got) or you can pay and have an on site assessment done for approx £500 - what a con - only in this country that we used to call Great Britain, the Great part fell out years ago imo!!!

Ste.

I think you will find it in most countries actually and some countries its worse....try Australia !

S

stehanson

Just googled the name and, I see its the address for the CITB!!
(Bircham Newton
King's Lynn
Norfolk
PE31 6RH)

Out of interest do you know if the actual certificate C & G level 2 certificate is ok to gain the blue craft level card as I emailed C & G and they offer a conversion service which compares your City & Guilds qualification against the current National Qualifications Framework (NVQ)
The full email contents are copied below
Any help or info appreciated!!

Cheers
Ste

Email from C & G:-
Dear Stephen,
Thank you for contacting City & Guilds Customer Relations.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer assistance in this instance. The CSCS has specific criteria which applicants must fulfill. If they feel that you do not meet this then they will be unable to issue you with the card.
However, we can offer you a service which compares your City & Guilds qualification against the current National Qualifications Framework but you will need to verify with Constructions Skills to see if this would be sufficient.
This can be done online, by filling out our application form which is available at [DLMURL]http://www.cityandguilds.com/replacement[/DLMURL]
Please select Student Course Records from left hand side of the page, and click on Comparisons.
Once we have received your completed form, our Archive Services team will start a comparison search for you.
The charge for this service is £34.00.
Should you require any further assistance please don?t hesitate to contact the Customer Relations team on 0844 543 0033.
Yours sincerely,
Shappel Asare Appiah
Customer Relations Advisor
Customer Relations
UK Commercial
City & Guilds
1 Giltspur Street
London
EC1A 9DD

M

mikethetile

Just googled the name and, I see its the address for the CITB!!
(Bircham Newton
King's Lynn
Norfolk
PE31 6RH)

Out of interest do you know if the actual certificate C & G level 2 certificate is ok to gain the blue craft level card as I emailed C & G and they offer a conversion service which compares your City & Guilds qualification against the current National Qualifications Framework (NVQ)
The full email contents are copied below
Any help or info appreciated!!

Cheers
Ste

Email from C & G:-
Dear Stephen,
Thank you for contacting City & Guilds Customer Relations.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer assistance in this instance. The CSCS has specific criteria which applicants must fulfill. If they feel that you do not meet this then they will be unable to issue you with the card.
However, we can offer you a service which compares your City & Guilds qualification against the current National Qualifications Framework but you will need to verify with Constructions Skills to see if this would be sufficient.
This can be done online, by filling out our application form which is available at [DLMURL]http://www.cityandguilds.com/replacement[/DLMURL]
Please select Student Course Records from left hand side of the page, and click on Comparisons.
Once we have received your completed form, our Archive Services team will start a comparison search for you.
The charge for this service is £34.00.
Should you require any further assistance please don?t hesitate to contact the Customer Relations team on 0844 543 0033.
Yours sincerely,
Shappel Asare Appiah
Customer Relations Advisor
Customer Relations
UK Commercial
City & Guilds
1 Giltspur Street
London
EC1A 9DD
the nvq is based on the old C&G , my C&G converted straight over

S

stehanson

fao b30-villain

Im entitled to the cscs card, (as you will be - assuming you pass the H&S test) however they tell me im only elligible for the red trainee card despite having done two years at college doing a CITB/City and guilds level1/2 (Foundation construction award/Intermediate Construction award), qualification hence the confusion and my posts!
They tell me I will have to do either another qualification (NVQ) or have an on the job assessment (cost approx £500) as it was not an NVQ I did at college.

May be worth asking your tutor what his knowledge on this is, since the trainee card is only valid for a short time (norm while you complete an NVQ) and cannot be renewed.
The card I belive I, (and you) should be given is the blue (craft level card) due to the level of qualification (even if its not an NVQ) - otherwise what is the point in all the UKS colleges doing courses where we would then still have to do further work to gain an NVQ.

Ste

S

stehanson

Just had this email from my old tutor at preston college (who happens to be the head of the department) - on the face of it not good news im afraid!!

email:-
**Stephen
This is correct, you cannot get a CSCS card with your ICA you need an NVQ level 2 which is achieved in the workplace. You need to contact and OSAT team (on sit assessment team) in a college to you, then they will be able to advise and take you through the process of collecting work-based evidence.
Richard**

So by the looks of it its a total waste of time doing all these college courses, as only an NVQ will get you onto a site as a fully carded worker - looks like we will just be trainees and still have to do the NVQ - what a crazy situation and typical of the powers to be!!! - the words money making and scam spring to mind!! :mad2:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to CSCS....Q&A for builders/tilers.. etc......... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I see and hear all to often of the horror stories when someone hires a supposed tiler only to...
Replies
Views
I meant to mention this a while ago but forgot, has anyone else had there skilled cscs card...
Replies
Views
On one
O
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
C
hi there, i was not sure if i should put this in find a tiler section as i was more hoping the...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
I
Hello To all, Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I completed my level 2 Diploma in...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.