UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Customers and Tanking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Slowly Learning

Hi all,

Is it just me or do home owners have no understanding of the importance of tanking shower/wet areas. I have been to two different jobs last week to price up estimates and both times the home owner has turned up thier noses when discussing tanking for shower areas. I am not trying a hard sell or adding a mark up on the product. Im trying to give the correct advise. Do you have this problem? and if so how do you explain it? One job I have decided to walk away from as despite needing the money the possible repercussions are just not worth it. Also what tanking kits do you use? I use Bal but if there is a reliable more cost effective product Im happy to try as I dont want to keep walking away from jobs.

Cheers in advance!

S

Slowly Learning

I understand that it may not be something the customer is aware of but trying to explain the need I can see them loosing interest or thinking im trying it on:mad2:. Once the "how much will that cost?" question comes up then its game over! Bal tanking kit in Topps round our way is 70 odd quid im not marking up the price or being pushy but it seems to be a deal breaker. What kit do you use? or would you just include a note on the estimate that customer refused tanking advise ( but I can see that putting thier nose out of joint and me not getting the job ) You know some numpty will turn up and say that you dont need it!

T

Time's Ran Out

Wht areas are you discussing tanking with the customers - is it around the bath or shower enclosures?
With proper substrate preparation,correct materials,good tiling and silicone use your work will last the life of the average bathroom. At least in the time I've been tiling most areas were never tanked.
However as technical developments occur we have to take on board these improvements to our trade and pass our knowledge onto the end user. Not all will embrace this additional cost as you have found so its through initiating them that the market will improve.
I find with tanking and UFH, I list the costings as a seperate item and explain the benefits to the customer - leaving them with the final choice.
My only exception is as you've done - if I consider it detrimental to the job without being done - I'd walk!

S

Slowly Learning

The areas in question were both power shower cubicles so I felt tanking should apply. I agree if it is just a bath area tanking may be a bit extreme for most customers to understand. The job I walked from involed customer supplying bargain basement materials that I doubt would hold the tile on the wall dry let alone in a shower! Thanks for all your responses always find this forum priceless!

T

Time's Ran Out

if i may add to that tj in my opinion power showers need tanking .

I'd agree!
I usually waffle a bit on most subjects and as my first point asked -around a bath or shower enclosure - so by the time I got to the end of around a bath, I didn't elaborate on shower enclosure which we tank as standard.
For the additional £40-00 for materials its always included.

D

Deleted member 9966

C

Colour Republic

What fish you gunna get..:lol:

i'm thinking more of a duck pond, i've already got quite a collection and i've hand picked this one to do the honors

Liverpool-Rubber-Duck.gif

F

faithhealer

i'm thinking more of a duck pond, i've already got quite a collection and i've hand picked this one to do the honors

Liverpool-Rubber-Duck.gif
Just reminded me of a dozy thing I nearly did on Friday. Went to a tile shop to buy a tanking 'paint on', kit. (usually use membrane but another story) Anyway, picked up an Ardex kit, paid for it, then as I picked it up I noticed this plastic duck floating inside! I had only picked up the demo box Duh!

Reply to Customers and Tanking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.