Discuss Cutting A Radius In Marble in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cr0ft

Looking for someone with a bit more experience of laying marble than I have. I'm viewing a marble floor tiling job on Friday. The customer has asked to have the marble cut around a quadrant shower tray which will mean cutting a profile in the marble of course.

What is the best way to do this? With ceramic I would just use a wet cutter and cut out bits at a time then file down the finished result. Is it the same for marble or is there a different technique to use?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

D

DHTiling

A grinder and one of the curved cutting blades will work a treat.. You could price the cost of the blade into the job..

Marcrist CC750 Curve Cutting blade

http://www.**************/acatalog/cc750-curve-220.jpg
The special dished shape of this blade allows it to cut curves in ceramic, porcelain and most stone.

The radius of the curve can be varied according to how far the blade is leaned towards the centre of the arc. Curves with radii as small as 100mm can be cut. Cutting with a more upright position will increase the radius to nearly a straight line

Tightest radii will be less achievable on thicker materials (over 15mm) as the blade will bind on its sides

Fits all 4 ½" and 5" grinders

Diameter 115m - Bore size 22.2mm

Tradetiler Tilers 115mm (4 1/2") Wheels (angle grinder)

A grinder and one of the curved cutting blades will work a treat.. You could price the cost of the blade into the job..

Marcrist CC750 Curve Cutting blade

http://www.**************/acatalog/cc750-curve-220.jpg
The special dished shape of this blade allows it to cut curves in ceramic, porcelain and most stone.

The radius of the curve can be varied according to how far the blade is leaned towards the centre of the arc. Curves with radii as small as 100mm can be cut. Cutting with a more upright position will increase the radius to nearly a straight line

Tightest radii will be less achievable on thicker materials (over 15mm) as the blade will bind on its sides

Fits all 4 ½" and 5" grinders

Diameter 115m - Bore size 22.2mm

Tradetiler Tilers 115mm (4 1/2") Wheels (angle grinder)

I got one of those curved blades for my grinder, a really good buy, and does a superb job.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Can be done with a wet saw up to the final stages by feathering the curve sideways along the blade.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Stone, Porcelain etc its all the same, I'm with Wingn; on this:thumbsup: bit of a pain but worth the effort:hurray:

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 031.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 032.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 42
  • x1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 46
  • x5.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 40
T

tfs

I dont understand how that blade is any different to a normal blade? I can see its shape is concave but its stil a round blade

I dont know the exact answer to this but I would assume that the curvature on the blade makes it deal with the stress better that is casued when cutting the curve. (possible allow it to manouver better too) A normal cutting blade is straight and will snap easier when trying to turn/ bend on a straight kerf cut.

I have done the abrasive wheel training to get my ticket for sites and they were verybig on making a point of how worng and dangerous it is to cut curves with a standard grinder blade.

Reply to Cutting A Radius In Marble in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Im going to be tiling my shower room walls and floor with some large format tiles as per the...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi All, First time poster and tiler here. Hoping to get a bit of advice on tiling a wet room...
Replies
Views
I am about to start tiling the walls and have spent a long time planning the setting out of all...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Cutting A Radius In Marble
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.