UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Cutting Granite in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leatherface

So would a plasplug master tiler (top of the range) with a decent blade in do the job

Regards

Kevin

It may just about do the job, but not very efficiently. If you are seriously thinking about doing a lot of granite & natural stuff then you would be well advised to invest between £400 & £1000 in a good quality wet cutter - Rubi or similar.
I have a cuople of Rubi wet cutters. The largest has a 300mm blade & 2000 watt motor Cost me the best part of £800 with a good blade. Look for my earlier post on Wet Saws thread for pictures.
David Neave at Trade Tiler can do you a very good Rubi ND200 - HAS 850 watt motor & 200mm blade - for around £398.00 - I have one , they are very good.
It sound a lot of money to spend, but you are investing in your future. Your first few granite jobs should pay for it easily.

C

Concept PHT

Tileman, it depends how thick the tiles are. The thinner the better. But if you are going to do a lot of granite work, invest in a more powerful cutter with a big water well etc. As Leatherhead says, it will be worth it.

If its just the odd one or 2 large contract jobs you will be doing, go to the local hire shop and use one of them, instead of forking out wads of cash for something your not really going to be using that much in a domestic environment.

L

Leatherface

I agree that there is some truth in Concepts comments, but...
By the time you have forked out hire fees a couple of times & possibly burnt out a couple of cheaper cutters you would have been better off investing in a good one at the start. A good cutter will last you many years & not need replacing - Rubi sell spares for all their cutters in the unlikely event of a fault.
Regards

T

tileman2

Leatherface/ Concept

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated

Looks like im certainly going to be gettin a fair bit of granite work, An old pal of mine works in natural stone store with a massive selection of granite. Hes just put 3 jobs to me yesterday to go and quote.

Only told him i was tiling last week, so certainly looks like im going to have plenty to do.

I think the rubi that leatherface mentioned is a wise choice. Have you got address for trade tiler.

Regards

Kev

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
Depending on which dry cutter you have, if you have a dry cutter with a rubi tx type breaker on it , the wide bar that pulls down, try and score heavely with a 10mm wheel and a quick snap, more pressure on the snap, i do it all the time with 30x30 10mm thick stuff, takes a little practice as the breaking pressure has to be broke at just the right pressure. Not sure if it will work on a Rubi TS breaker, worth a try if you have any spare pieces, the cut it gives you is fine for up to the wall cuts, that can be hidden a little if skirts are going back on or tiles meeting.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
If your wanting a decent wet cutter for granit/ naturals etc, you cannot go far wrong with the Rubi DW220 overhead wet cutter, thats what i use with a macrist blade in it, sorts it out no problem, stick with your plasplugs if only doing bits and bobs as its a lot of dosh to fork out if its going to be doing nothing most of the time, like my post above , sometimes you can get away with the technique above, its worth a try first, saves you loads of time if it works, doesnt work on any of the other stones, just some types of granit

P

Paul Sh

Try Topps, i was in the one in Newcastle the other day and they are selling their's off for £199.00 ,it's labelled as a professional cutter (If that means anything nowadays), might be worth a look, it's big and yellow so you can't miss it, one problem with it is, it weighs a tonne so i don't know how the hell you would get it out of your van.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cutting Granite in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi any info on get rid of epoxy grout haze on natural stone would be much appreciated. I’ve used...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.