Discuss Damaged concrete floor in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

magicman-alex

Hi All,

I've just ripped out my bathroom as the previous bathroom installation and tiling job was pretty bad and I figured it was a good chance to try my hand at tiling.

It's a 1st floor maisonette and I've suffered with leaks into the flat below due to a poor bathroom installation. I've removed all the tiles.

The bathroom is an uneven concrete floor, so I'm guessing self-levelling compound will be in order at some point. However, when I removed the bath, I found there's a hole in the concrete that appears to go into a void above the ceiling of the bathroom below. I'm not sure how best to fix this hole before applying the self-levelling compound. A mate suggested fixing an old tile over it and then pouring the self-levelling compound, but I'm worried that a tile might be too thick and will just complicate things.

The hole is probably about 15cm x 20cm and the concrete itself is about 25mm thick.

I guess I could probably screw or glue on a very thin sheet of steel plate or something like that, but just wondered if anyone had any better suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

M

magicman-alex

Thanks very much for everyone's input. I'll have a go with the expanding foam and see if that helps (will self levelling concrete be OK on top of foam?)

The 'void' underneath appears to be about the standard size of a space under a floorboard. I know the neighbour's rear hallway is directly underneath so I'm guessing it's just a plaster board ceiling below the hole.

Thanks again, Chaps.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Damaged concrete floor in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Help! New DIYer here - I’m preparing my bathroom floor to lay ceramic tile. Removed the vinyl...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB