Discuss Darkened grout colour + Shiny tile edge in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Merlin5

sHi. My builders laid 60 x 60 glacier ivory tiles in my kitchen a few weeks ago. I bought the tiles from B&Q, perhaps some of you know the tile? They come three in a box and cost about £19 per box. I bought about a dozen boxes. I stupidly didn't check the batch numbers so you'll probably notice the different shades. I'm really annoyed at myself about that, but I didn't even think to check batches. Kind of ruins the whole effect for me so I'm going to have to live with it. :(

Anyway, then the builders grouted with Flexjoint Premium Ultra Flexjoint which I bought from Tile Depot, in Limestone colour to best match the tiles. The grout wasn't sealed so I'm going to seal it, I've bought Fila grout protector from Topp Tiles. Before I seal I'm trying to get the colour to the way it's meant to look as it mostly is dark. The builders laid cardboard down after they finished the tiling and grouting as they had other work to continue with in my kitchen. When the cardboard was removed, I thought the grouting was just full of dirt that would sweep away easily but it doesn't. I bought Fila grout cleaner from Topps, tried it on just one grout line, let it sit for a few minutes then scrubbed, let it dry, and the next morning checked it. But it hasn't really done anything. I've also bought HG grout cleaner and will try that now, see if it makes any difference. I've attached photos where you can see how the grout lines are mostly dark, and even light and dark patches together in any single grout line. The picture with the two bottles shows the grout line in between the bottles that I tried to clean. One of the pictures shows a close up of intersecting grout lines, this is one of the rare areas where the colour is correct. What is going on there, is it dirt or something else? When I put any water or cleaning fluid on, the grout goes immediately dark so it's impossible to tell if it's cleaned it until it dries. If the HG cleaner doesn't work, I suppose I could try and regrout the whole lot or buy some grout colour? I've never done grouting so colouring it would be preferable.

Secondly, I've attached an image where I've drawn a yellow line about a centimetre distance from the edge of the tile I used the cleaner and a brush on. The camera doesn't show it but depending where I'm standing and the lighting, that line to the edge of the tile is now shinier than the rest of the tile, like looking at a car that's just been T-Cut next to a non T-Cut area. Or to put it another way, as though the area between yellow line and edge of tile has been buffed to a higher shine with a polish, and where I can see a faint feathered edge where it meets the rest of the tile that wasn't affected. The tiles came pre sealed but needed wax removal. My builder told me he'd removed the wax. I'm wondering if the chemical and brush I used took something off the tile that shouldn't have, or, if it's simply taken off some wax that actually wasn't removed? The shiny part gives a slightly clearer reflection, although not really noticeable if I'm not standing in the right light, so it doesn't seem to be a bad thing? What is your opinion on these things guys? Thanks.

Order of attached pics:

Image 1 Grout line I tried cleaning (between bottles)
Image 2 Overall tiling and grouting
Image 3 Close up of proper grout colour
Image 4 Grout line I tried cleaning (see how it varies in dark and light colour, should be the lighter colour)
Image 5 yellow line to edge of tile where tile is shinier.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 5.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 3.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 4.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:
M

Merlin5

Was there a transit wax on the tiles ... it will be shinier at the edges because of grouting and cleaning and that would have removed some of the transit wax... hence shiny at the edges..

Yep, as I mentioned in my post, the tiles needed wax removal (tiles came waxed but pre-sealed) and my builder said he'd removed it. Obviously he hasn't or not completely. I bought a tin of wax remover from topps and it seems to have been used by them. Maybe I need to buy some more.

D

DHTiling

I would .. lol .. they do look slightly dull in places.. it isn't a case of wipe on wipe off , the stripper needs to dwell and be agitated whilst dwelling... the use of a scotch pad will help with this..

Just to add , if transit wax was applied then i doubt they are sealed as well , other wise they would bot have transit wax on them..

The sealer is to only close the pores opened up from the polishing process and aids in the ease of cleaning if sealed..

M

Merlin5

These were tiles from B&Q, David, and they came 3 in a box. The back of the box says the wax needs removing but that they are pre-sealed and don't need sealing any further.

By the way, the dullness you mentioned might be referring to those tiles that I picked up where I didn't check the batch numbers. They're a different shade. If I had the money, I'd get the whole lot redone by a professional tiler, such as yourself (well, if you were in my area of course :p). Mixed batches, along with the builders shoddy tile laying as there's lipping all over the place, and badly done grouting. It's really a bit of a mess and I'm really disappointed with the outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Darkened grout colour + Shiny tile edge in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB