Discuss Demolition bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Had a couple of weeks free so agreed to do a friend's bathroom at mates rates - said I wouldn't do anymore but moving in to new house soon so I am grabbing. Typically the weekend before I start I did 5 quotes and got them all so in the 4 days I've worked there I've left them with new toilet and bath and will finish between proper paying jobs.

Never took the before pictures but the bathroom was tiny and in a right state. Tuesday involved tearing down 2 walls and ripping out.
Next day was studding out 2 new walls and taking all the plaster and old tiles off back to brick work.

P1010076-2.jpg

P1010078-1.jpg

P1010080-2.jpg

P1010079-2.jpg

The old lead toilet waste was a right pain. Absolutely minced up coming through window wall, had been leaking on and off for years and was just blobbed with 2 tubes of silicone. Had a big hole in it so sewage must have been dripping down the exterior walls cavity :yikes:

Now normally I would remove the cast iron soil stack from the joint and above and replace with plastic but this was too costly for him. So got it watertight with a hacksaw, hammer, pan conn minus ribs and plumber's mate.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
After a bit of advice from Ed (Aston Tiling) I set about drylining the brick work that was well out - and I mean really bad.

P1010083-2.jpg

P1010084-1.jpg

P1010085-1.jpg

P1010090-2.jpg

To be tiled: Door wall, bath wall (bath to ceiling) then half wall over basin continuing half wall window/toilet.
Had to stop drylining window wall as the wall leans towards you so much at the top that you can't put another board on plumb. A spreader will finish untiled areas off later.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
P1010087-2.jpg

Is as far as I got after 4 days. Proper job starts tomorrow so will get back to this when I can.
The whole house is on the tilt and the floor slopes down from bath wall to opposing wall. With the limited budget I shall be tiling flat but not level. Not ideal I know but this is the compromise you have to make when doing some mates rates job. This is definitely the last one!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Had last 3 days off to finish this - well my bit anyway. They still need to get in a plasterer to sort walls and put in a new level ceiling. Lick of paint and then I'll pop back to put towel rad in.
Done on a budget and all the mats/fittings including suite, rad, and tiles came in at under £800 which I think is really impressive.

P1010093-2.jpg

P1010098-1.jpg

P1010095-1.jpg

P1010094-1.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Demolition bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB