UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Diamond Training Group- My Experience in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Graham Bright

When I decided that I wanted to start my own business as a tiler I actually found it difficult at first looking at all the training companies there are out there. But more worrying than that I actually found it hard to believe that someone could train in what seems a short space of time, at least to a professional standard that clients would expect.

When I spoke to Danny at Diamond he immediately put my mind at ease and I took the plunge. I will admit I was still a little scepticle.

After week one I was feeling so much better, the training format is logical and confidence building. The tutors make sure that the standard of work is high and what a real customer would expect and that in itself gave me a massive boost. By the time I got to weeks 3, 4 and 5 I was flying and completing full bathrooms in a good time. The work I had done was to a professional standard. By 5 and 6 I found myself helping out other newer students and felt I could take on most jobs.

The facilites. They were excellent, there was a decent number of training bays with slightly differing lay outs and formats. You got to move bay after each mini project. It was always kept warm (which was a bonus) and it was obviously kept as clean and safe as required. I never felt squashed or restricted evern in weeks when all the bays were in use.
If I had to pick a couple of minor points and they really are minor, I would have personally liked more spacers floating around :) I was always worried that I would be caught stealing them out of other peoples walls while they were at lunch. hahahahhaa. I would have also liked to have a bit more of a go with larger tiles but thats not important in the grand scheme of things.

For me though some of these things are a given when you are paying quite a lot of money on a course. What stands out for me about my whole time there was the staff. Danny was so helpful and accommodating and considering how busy he is running the business, I knocked on his door so many times and not once was he too busy for a 10 minute chat and on many occassions he left visitors waiting in reception while he finished speaking with me. That sort of customer service is second to none. Thanks Danny

Finally, Sam. For me Sam made the course and is the main reason I would recommend anybody training here, I would even say do the extra few miles away from a local centre to get taught by Sam. Sometimes I asked the same questions 20 times and he always went over it again and again, changing the way he would explain something in order to find the way it sunk in. He was a great laugh and was never to shy to have a bit of banter with me. I was pretty much the loudest most annoying there and he put up with me taking the mick all day, stressing out and god knows what else. He really is a top bloke. WHat he cant teach you about tiling isnt worth teaching and he has a nack of making the difficult simple. Sam is pricless to that firm in my opinion and I personally doubt there is a better tutor out there. Being a good tiler is only a tiny percent of being able to teach.

In the last week I completed my first private job which was a entrance hall to a house. About 7sqm in 450 tiles with black Grout. I managed it no problem on my own and the customer was delighted. I have a large ensuite coming up and hopefully more to follow. This place has completely built my confidence and I am going to have a succesful career as a tiler thanks to Diamond Training Group. The rest is up to me.

Thanks guys

Graham

p.s Sam only give the selected few Jedi Status, if your work isnt good enough you wont get it. I was honoured to be given the title of Diamonds first ever Sith Lord, My work was Jedi standard but my behaviour was aweful. :hurray::hurray::hurray::oops:Thanks Sam

S

Sam@ Diamond

Graham,
Firstly I would like to say thanks for your brilliant feedback on our course!
I am glad to hear the first job went well and am eager to hear how the ensuite turns out.
As for the 'spacers' I try to encourage minimal use of spacers to improve efficiency hence reducing working time.
With regards to the larger tiles, In most cases it is harder to plan out for and takes longer with smaller tiles so once you have mastered tiling with smaller tiles, larger format tends to come naturally.
I would just like to mention that the customer service you have refered to doesn't end now you have completed your course, any time you are unsure about something or feel the need to seek advice I am only an email/phone call away.
I wish you all the best for the future and hope to see you again one day soon
Regards
Sam

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Diamond Training Group- My Experience in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I can personally recommend UK Pro Tiling. Darren is a great tutor, the aftercare is great and it...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.