Discuss Different substrates in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all.

Got a job where I'm tiling 600x300 porcelain over different subsrates. It's an extension and the extension has 18mm chipboard screwed down to joists and then just before the extension is a solid floor section about a metre square and then just behond that are floorboards screwed down to joist. Didn't really want to have expansion joints both sides of the solid section as it would make the tiling work very ugly so was thinking about 6mm cement boards over the whole lot and then tiling. Is this ok in your opinion?? Cheers :thumbsup:

hi cc
you really need an expansion joint where 2 substrates meet.
cement boards wont add what your looking for. if theres any stress, it wil still force through.

ed

Is there no way around not using expansion joints. the solid section is right where you walk into the room so you would walk in with to joint either side staring you in the face!!

It is a pig but there isnt any other way round it (that I know of), I seem to be getting it a lot lately with random pattern floors.

How wide a joint are you going to use? Is there no way of incorporating the joints into the pattern?

The tiles will be running in the opposite direction to the split in substrates and even if they were the chances of getting it to meet in 2 places is pletty slim. Floors gonna look crap with 2 expansion joints a metre away from each other!! There's gotta be something I can do :mad2:

You could make sure that any deflection at meeting points is ZERO.. then you only have differing lateral expansion.. and an uncoupling membrane will suffice.. not 100% Bs guidelines but a compromise,., sometimes staggered breaks in substrates cannot be expansion jointed.. so cutting out deflection is an option ..

So would you recommend cement board then uncoupling membrane?

Reply to Different substrates in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Bedfordshire

Thread Information

Title
Different substrates
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.