Discuss Disposing of Dirty Water in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TheRealRobG

When I tiled my bathroom, I was rinsing my dirty adhesive and grout buckets down the toilet along with a few flushes and a couple more buckets of water for good measure.
However, this got to be a pain (not to mention worrying about bunging the drain up), so this time (tiling the en-suite) I bought a couple of 120 litre plastic troughs, and I've been using them to hold all my dirty water and rinsing out buckets, tools, tile cutter etc. There was a good 3-4 inches of scum at the bottom by the time I finished after a week of washing tools, dirty adhesive & grout buckets and cutting tiles.
Not wanting to empty this down the drain, and not having a good way of delivering it to the local tip, I decided to try to separate off as much water as I could.
I drilled a hole in the bottom of a large adhesive bucket, placed a large scrubbing pad over the hole and started pouring the dirty water into the bucket, with the bucket sat on two strips of wood over a large tub below.
The water drips out of the hole into the tub beneath surprisingly clean (actually clear), and the scum all gets caught in the bucket. Eventually (after about 12 hours), I had a large tub containing clean water which went straight down the drain, and one large bucket full of semi-dry adhesive/grout/tile residue which I could scoop into rubbish bags.
How do you guys deal with this problem?

D

Deleted member 1779

I'm the same as Kilty. We let the sediment drop to the bottom of the bucket then tip off the excess water.

(I'm not a tiler) But our bucket gets filled up with tile dust when we drill holes over a number of days at exhibitions and at tile training centres. It happens when I continuously dunk the sponge into the water to rinse out all the dust and debris from drilling the hole to discharge it into the water. By letting it settle out I can pour the water down the drain. Its then a matter of scrapping out the sludge with a little trowel.

A few years ago we were just tipping the bucket down the sink at the tile training centre but then it was pointed out no good was coming for the pipes!

Not wishing to be a burden to tile training centres OR exhibition halls the safest way seemed to let the it separate out in the water into sediment. (PS: If an exhibiton hall thinks you have on purpose cause waste then you are fined and charged for the clean up).

47973_419044462013_617362013_4902496_1860037_n.jpg

All tile dust, sediment, addy, grout can block drains.

162633_466031662013_617362013_5682448_7419529_n.jpg

We let the dust settle.... Then pour off the top water

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I think (and don't quote me, the manufacturers may have covered this somehow) you're meant to be quite picky where you dispose of the residue AND pour away the liquid, due to the chemicals commonly found in all the products. Pouring it down the main drain and / or burying it can cause harm to the environment. Apparently.

I'm sure the datasheets would confirm this.

C

cornish_crofter

For me it depends on what I'm doing and where.

I've had jobs where disposing of dirty water is a pain to say the least.

When we were renovating a house and having to plaster the whole of the downstairs after it had been damp proofed I was working with a cement mixer in the lounge!

Over the few days that I was re rendering I would use the dirty water from the day before (stored in the wheel barrow as I had washed the mixer with it). The sludge at the bottom was basically building sand. This and the water would get used in the next mix!

The way I looked at it was that the sand was essentially OK and it saved me having to bag it up and dispose of it.

I've had jobs where there has literally been nowhere to dispose of dirty water. I don't chuck it down foul wastes as a rule, even though I may have strained it. I have actually been known to take it home and 'water' my unmade drive with it.

The job I'm working on at the moment - the custome and I agreed a place to dump it along with whatever is in it. I will probably offer to bag up the crap on the top for him so that he can then use that bit of his flowerbed again. At the moment he's not using it at all, and hasn't been for a while.

Reply to Disposing of Dirty Water in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Disposing of Dirty Water
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.