Discuss Ditra advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dfps

Hi ,

Am tiling an exterior terrace with Ditra and Kerdi Tape to act as both a decoupling membrane and a waterproof membrane.

The substrate is a solid concrete slab of an area 7.6m x 4m and I am using flexible cement based modified adhesive.

The concrete is already set with good falls away from the house for drainage and is nice and flat.
The fall is in the 4m dimension and 7.6 is the width of the terrace.

My question is : should I run the ditra across the 7.6m width so that the taped joints run parallel with the house or should I run the ditra with taped joints along the 4m direction in the direction of the fall.---- or does it make absolutely no difference.

On a you tube video it shows the ditra being laid on a small terrace parallel with the house rather than away from the house in one strip.

Hope this makes sense ?

Any advice appreciated.

D

dfps

Hi Stewart.

What about on an outside terrace where water is likely to penetrate the grout at some point in time ?
There is only a garage under the terrace so its not absolutely the end of the world but it would be better if having spent all this money on materials that is was waterproof.
Would pefer to use normal adhesive rather than the ditra special 2 part adhesive.

To be honest it was athe main consideration when I posted my original thread as when water does penetrate the grout it was in my mind that it is less likely to penetrate further past the kerdi joits if they were running in the direction of the slab fall.

Hope this make sense. ??

D

dfps

Hi Andy

Wasnt sure if you were getting my posts.

Hope all is good your end.

To be honest the cost of this job is going through the roof.What with tiles,primers,adhesive,ditra,kerdi tape etc its already cost £1400 plus all my time travelling back and fo to France.

Its not cheap this tiling lark is it.

I eventually pulled up all the tiles and took out the loose fill layer and got back doen to the base layer slab.It was clear that some of the loose fill was not loose fill but solid screed and some was loose and crumbly which was probably due to previous water penetration and why the original tiles had lifted.

The 2 part adhesive seemed to be the last straw and all schluter products seem to so bloody expensive in France and are not that much cheaper in Spain.

Its a good job my labour is free eh !!!

Was hoping to avoid the extra expense of the 2 part adhesive as I am going to need quite a bit espaecially as there will always be a bit wasted with 2 pack mixes.
I am a bit suspicious of companies like Schluter who say you must use this and you must use that when Weber say that ordinary adhesive is ok and its only in the last couple of years that Schluter have added this adhesive to their product range,Before this ordinary adhesive seemed to be fine !!

If its was a living area below the slab or on a timber base etc I would go for the 2 pack adhesive but its only a garage below and at the end of the day I have to stop the property becoming a money pit.

Guess I have spent about 30 k on the place in the last 4 years and money is a lot tighter at the moment.

Wodya think !!

David

D

dfps

Hi Andy,

No went there and they were really poor.Didnt know anything about Ditra.Had to take my catalogue to show them.They then looked it up on the copmuter whilst 3 of the gathered round and muttered things in French.
They eventually gave me list prices with no discount.
They also gave me list price on adhesive for 15 bags and they dont do Weber anymore they did a different brand at 30 euros a bag for flexible so i drove staright down into Spain and got ditra at 25% off list and bought a flexible adhesive at 16 euros a bag.

I wont got to Point P again they hear my accent and thats the end of any sensible prices.

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
hi dave u would have got the weber adhesive cheaper in the uk .also u should have used dural,s membrane its way cheaper than ditra.i cant understand point p wen i was there we got a good price on the adhesive,if u have an account ure discount should be set fsss.im sure you,ll get it sorted,if u need any more advice you can call me or send me a quick message on the forum :thumbsup:

Reply to Ditra advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, a long time since I have been here but back for some advice/reassurance ! About to tile my...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I'm after some advice please. I've been tiling a few years but never even asked to do...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Ditra advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.