UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss DIY Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sall2009

This is my 3rd or fourth diy tiling work. Would look to get some feedback. Please give honest feedback, even if negative.

Photo0109.jpg Photo0113.jpg Photo0114.jpg
Photo0124.jpg Photo0125.jpg Photo0126.jpg

T

tfs

Looks ok mate

I think you have the abailty to be much better though, I noticed the setting out around the window was wrong and the small cut you did on the bottom left and top right of the window looks bad, it generally not a good idea to cut or split tiles in the in this way

I would have tile the reveal or have a facing around the window at least to finnish off.

If you put more time and though into these details the job would have been much better.

T

Time's Ran Out

Twisted my neck looking at the pictures only to agree with the other comments. Can see enough of the joints to realise that there is a setting out issue, but not the whole picture to give a critical appraisal. If it is DIY then as long as you are happy then it's okay, if you'd paid for it to be done I'd want a refund. But that's why you have joined the best Tilers Forum, to learn and improve, but it's often better to ask an opinion before you jump into the project. Thanks for posting and I hope you accept the comments in the light hearted manner they were sent.:thumbsup:

S

sall2009

Thanks guys for your constructive comments. I realize that the job could have been a bit better, but the finish is a result of a major disaster recovery. I tilled the whole bathroom with tub adhesive originally, but latter realized the tiles were too big for that adhesive, so I had to remove and clean all the tiles and re-fit all the tiles.

Mike can you please explain what you mean by tiling the reveal a bit small? How would you do that? Do you mean covering more of the PVC window (boxing in)?

And TFS, what do you mean by “I would have tile the reveal or have a facing around the window at least to finish off.”

Q

Qwerty

Agree with what the others have said really. Have seen far, far worse DIY efforts, so well done. :thumbsup:

Things that jump out are-
- Not continuing brickbond around corners
- Window reveal
- Cuts above & below window
- Lippage on tiles
- Starting a full tile from top of bath

......that said...... take a look at the thread on this forum that shows bad tiling jobs. Your DIY effort is superior to some of these jobs by so called pro's...... so good effort :8:.... http://www.tilersforums.com/tilers-forums-arms/17900-tilers-forums-hall-shame.html

S

sall2009

Agree with what the others have said really. Have seen far, far worse DIY efforts, so well done. :thumbsup:

Things that jump out are-
- Not continuing brickbond around corners
- Window reveal
- Cuts above & below window
- Lippage on tiles
- Starting a full tile from top of bath

......that said...... take a look at the thread on this forum that shows bad tiling jobs. Your DIY effort is superior to some of these jobs by so called pro's...... so good effort :8:.... http://www.tilersforums.com/tilers-forums-arms/17900-tilers-forums-hall-shame.html

Thanks for your coments, I'll keep them in mind next time. just wanted to ask a question regarding your last point
"- Starting a full tile from top of bath"

Is this not a good idea?

T

Time's Ran Out

As my reply to the OP was before Dave's my views on the pictures are clear. However, I also couldn't give any positive feedback as others - not bad/decent job - to a DIY effort of this quality, as it gives an impression of acceptance to work that is clearly not! How many tries will be required and how many jobs will be left as this before DIY'ers realise that work of this calibre will only reduce the value of a property. Again a personal opinion to be taken as a constructive comment and hopefully Sall2009 will continue to ask for further advice in the not to distant future.

S

sall2009

there's not enough said dave, are you insinuating i don't know a good job from a bad job? credit where it's due, for an amateur this is a decent job. to knock somebody whilst they're starting off is enough to put them off for life. the o.p. asked for constructive critisism not insults and to be put off picking a trowel up ever again.

Thanks for your support Mike. I'm sure people like Dave need to insult others to make themselves feel good about their life. I'm glad i'm old enough to know bullies are not worth responding to.

Thank you guys for all your constructive comments.

D

Deleted member 9966

Thanks for your support Mike. I'm sure people like Dave need to insult others to make themselves feel good about their life. I'm glad i'm old enough to know bullies are not worth responding to.

I'm sorry you feel that Dave's comments were insulting and a form of bullying. You have asked for honest feedback, and Dave is one of the best tilers this forum has and if there was ever a competition to see who is the best tiler in the UK, I'm sure Dave and his continual top-quality work will put him in the number 1 spot or somewhere near.

Please do not feel that you are being victimised by the feedback. You have asked for comments from seasoned tilers who have extensive work experience over many many years. If you wish to know how you can improve your tiling, you can do no wrong by asking these tilers for their tips. I'm not a tiler by profession and my own tiling in my own house is of DIY quality only. This does not stop me from asking for more help and advice. Please stick around in our community as I'm sure the additional knowledge you will glean from here will help you to improve your tiling skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

That is way under the belt.

Dave has some very valid points and you did ask for honesty.

Your tiling is to a DIY standard only, and although not the worst Ive seen, it is far from acceptable by any decent tilers standards. It has clear simple faults that with time, training & practice (not on somebody elses property though) it should improve in quality. Being rude to somebody who you have asked advice from is not a good way to start off on this forum....... it is "people like Dave" that are here to offer our professional advice & experience

D

DHTiling

You are entitled to your opinion as I am.

You asked for honest feedback and you have received that IMO from me.

I shall not say what a great job etc when it wasn't , if honest feedback offends you , then maybe best not to ask for it.

My intention was honesty and not to insult, I shall close this thread as no more can be gained from it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to DIY Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers So long story short, I have just purchased my first house and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
DIY Tiling
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.