UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss do i need qualifications? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

You dont need a qualification to be self employed, just sort that out with the tax office.
5 days will not make you a tiler, you will gain a little experience but as many others have found out, as soon as you get get your 1st real job you will find its a whole new ball game.
I am not knocking these courses, you have to start somewhere and the days of getting trained on the job with experienced tilers seem to be few and far between.

G

Gazzer

A lot will depend on your age, area where you are, your ability and hand skills. Some people pick it up quicker than others, I have lost count of how many people come into the forum thinking tiling is easy. I have lost count of how many have come and gone.
Knowing people in the trade help too not just tilers but other trades, builders, plumbers etc.

What ever you decide, the forum is here to help if we can. We would prefer you ask questions 1st rather than have you make mistakes.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Glen, and:welcome: I must echo Sir Ramics views, to be a real tiler takes years of experience. A course will give you a good start to understanding the basics of tiling. But tiling (real tiling) is a highly skilled trade. I would suggest you do your course, and then try and find a pro tiler in your area, who would let you tag along it may have to be unpaid, but you will then get an insight into the problems a real tiler has to deal with on a daily basis.

I do hope you don't take my post as being negative, but I do get a bit miffed when people think tiling is easy, I served a five year apprenticeship and have over forty years in the trade ( it is a TRADE) minimum now is three years, for NVQ . I know it is not easy to get qualified in this day and age, but I have seen the skill levels being diluted over the years.

I think it is time we had a reality check, tiling is, was, and always will be a skilled trade (sometimes bordering on art) when done properly and professionally, If you do decide That tiling is for you then I wish you the best of luck. But please don't expect to be a pro after a five day/five week course or even six months. It is not going to happen. There are some awsome tilers on this forum, some of them are finding things tough atm. So you may find yourself competing against them for work. I do wish you well, but as you may have gathered I am very passionate about my trade.

I hope I have not upset anyone by my opinion. It is just my opinion, and not the opinion of the forum.:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to do i need qualifications? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.