Discuss Do I need sealing matt porceliane tiles? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Basically grout clings to the Matt finish, and is difficult to remove. I don't think the tiles will have the microscopic holes that polished porcelain tiles have. Why the tiler would want to make his job harder than it needs to be, I can't imagine!?! Just make sure that you're happy with the finish before you pay him. Look down the tiles from the side, and if there's a hazy film over them, make sure it all gets removed. ;)

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Put a drop of water on the tile surface and see if it soaks in....

Im pretty sure it won't, as its the polishing process that opens the pores on porcelain. I've ignored the advice before though, and the grout really does cling to some of these tiles. I ended up having to use a grout film remover, so didn't save any time by not sealing lol!

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Matt porcelains can be as porous as polished. Do a water test, as per Whitebeam, and if the water has soaked in after approx 20 mins then they will deffo need sealing.

Really!?! That's just completely blown my understanding (or lack of), of the process, completely out of the water! I thought the Matt, was just a textured coating/glaze, for want of a better word!?!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Do I need sealing matt porceliane tiles? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. Have a tiler coming in to do my floor tiles but don't think he's done a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have some lovely Mexican terracotta tiles (glazed on one side only) which are meant...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB