UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Do you butter back of tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

robbbin

TF
Friend of mine has had is bathroom walls tiled, large format 50*30 problem was one fell off luckely for him not in the bath or even worse fell on someone when I tapped them they sound hollow, my guess is the tiler only combed the wall. I told him if 1 or 2 come off easily they really should all come off. Point being you should always butter back of large tile do you agree guys

C

cornish_crofter

Or the tiles could be warped and there is no coverage in the middle of the tile. This happened to me with 325x 250mm tiles. I found that I was offering the tile to the wall and removing them to check for coverage. The top and the bottom on a large number of tiles had made contact whereas the middle had not. I then had to backbutter the middle of the tile in order for full contact to be achieved.

G

Grace'sDad

I generally use a floor trowel for large format wall tiles (aswell as floor) and back butter also. Always back butter when I need to be certain I've got 100% coverage i.e. heated floors.

You'd be amazed how many people simply push the tile onto the adhesive/wall rather than bedding it in properly.

Here's a piccie of a 600x300 porcelain fixed using tubbed gear and a 3mm plastic spreader which came in the adhesive - you know the type!
The tiles started to fall off the (freshly plastered) walls after 2 weeks.

Look at the coverage and be amazed!:santa_cheesy:

Attachments

• wrong adhesive & badly applied!.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 248
Here's a piccie of a 600x300 porcelain fixed using tubbed gear and a 3mm plastic spreader which came in the adhesive - you know the type!
The tiles started to fall off the (freshly plastered) walls after 2 weeks.

Look at the coverage and be amazed!:santa_cheesy:

can't see the problem myself...lol, how do people manage to get away with it..

Reply to Do you butter back of tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.