Discuss Do you need to back butter.. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

David - Tradetiler

Great video Dave, nice find.

Some of the voids he points out on the non BB are where he didn't spread the adhesive out fully on the substrate. Non the less the BB tiles do seem to be much harder to remove. The only surprise was the Ditra, seemed to come up quite easily. Perhaps it is simply that a non modified adhesive will never bond as strongly. Given a longer period the non modified might have strengthened up - It looked like it might have still had some moisture in it by the colour, hard to say?

Shame it takes longer to BB, especially on large format :( Definatly would reduce callbacks though.

Have to hope any old tiles you need to hack off first weren't back buttered :incazzato:

Somerset
Thanks for finding this video Dave. I have never got into the habit of carrying out tests like this - maybe the moral is that I should try such tests during downtime - everything from grout flexability testing to adhesive strength. Its easy enough to take for granted what the manufacturers and suppliers of products we use tell us. The world is always a little different.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Do you need to back butter.. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB