UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss do you still get good lead in your pencil? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

think its better i keep my posts in forums arms.
was looking at a thread re quality of paddles which struck a chord with me re deteriorating quality of tools.
I have serious issues with buckets/pencils/and levels but will stick to pencils in this thread.
I used to use rexel gren pencils for years until i could take no more about ten years ago, as the quality had deteriorated so much.
they were a good product for many years and then comes a time when you strat sharpening them and you are half way througfh apencil in a day with the lead just breaking.
same to be said for diy store pencils and any others i could find .
but then eureka.
i found the lyra 331 profi stonemasons pencil.
I am not a rep for lyra but these pencils are amazing, or rather i should say thay are like what pencils used to be like many years ago.
i know you are not all stonefixers , but i think they are good for marking most tiles.
you can buy these for 86p each inc vat from axminster tools. they are 300mm long so you can cut them in half if you want and still be cheaper than a green rexel and get two for price of one.
but when it comes to longevity of use they outscore rexel by at least 20 times and then factor by two for one and a no brainer.
the other pencil i have found and did alot of research on this, is the faber castell grip 2001 2.5 hb.which you can get from stationers but peter strauss catalogue sell them in boxes of 12 for very good price.,
I actually supply these for all the guys on my most regular site at cost which eliminates my own going missing?
bit softer but very long lasting and all the chippies swear by them. they would not touch another make.
one of the beauties of these pencils is that they are very rarely on sites, so if you see somone with one you know where its come from!!
the sad part to this story is that both these products are made in germany i believe.
we built this once great nation on quality that was not replicated elsewhere.
look at all the great tiling products on the market now and so many originate from germany.
if anyone can come up with a better pencil i would love to know and would love to submit these to rexel to test against their own make.
i have complained over and over but they insist their quality is as good as ever was. i suspect their turnover of product is certainly higher for a simple reason!!!
will do athread on best levels tomorrow as thsi is my other biggest bugbear

P

Peter

The red and black Steadler pencils are the ticket. A good pencil will cost you about 50-60p these days but well worth it.

Although ironically, I got a packet of 20 'United Office' pencils from Lidl recently. Usually avoid cheap pencils like the plague but these ones actually perform very well. Think it's the quality of the wood - the more red it is the worse, and the more fawn colour the better it will sharpen.

A very important thing for a tiler to have a good quality pencil, nothing worse than one that doesn't sharpen right and breaks leads every time you go to use it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to do you still get good lead in your pencil? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
uHeat and TilersForums.com go Way Back - And Continue to Partner-up to Bring You Savings on...
Replies
Views
Can you share your budget for kitchen remodeling ideas I also had a misconception that kitchen...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.