Currently reading:
Does Mapei's Avalanche grout have a "pinkish" undertone to the white?

Discuss Does Mapei's Avalanche grout have a "pinkish" undertone to the white? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fun2Learn

Hello everyone. I am over here in the USA, but noticed, when googling for info on Mapei grouts, that folks on this forum seem to be very familiar with Mapei, so I thought I'd post a question here, if that is alright. I and my husband are do-it-yourselfers and we have installed the tiles for our kitchen backsplash and just need to install the grout now.

I originally selected, and then bought, the Mapei Ultracolor Plus in Avalanche color, because I was looking for a true white. However, before I open the bag of Mapei grout (and then can't return it), I wanted to double-check that, in real-life, it doesn't have a noticeable pinkish "cast" or "undertone" to its white color.

The reason I ask is that after I bought the grout, I noticed that the Mapei paper color charts seem to show the Avalanche white as having a pinkish cast. I went to another store, and also noticed this pink undertone in the plastic grout sample (though I didn't notice that in sample at the store where I had actually bought the grout.) I do NOT want a white grout with a noticeable pink or grey cast to it--I held the paper samples up to my tile and they looked terrible together-though the plastic sample at the first store looked fine next to my tiles! What to do!!!???

My tiles have a very subtle sandy, or golden-ivory color with very subtle variations in glazing color. A nice clean white seems to provide the best, subtle contrast to highlight these tiles, without making their color look greyish or too greeny-yellow. (I "pre-tested" the color with strips of white paper napkin pushed into the grout joints--it looked fantastic! I do want a nice clean, neutral white--llike the paper napkins, LOL.)

These tiles are ceramic and were made in Italy (like Mapei, I believe?) They are pretty thick (about 3/8" or 9 mm) and have 1/8" (or 3.2mm) grout joints, so I believe I should be using a sanded grout joint, correct? The tiles are designed to look like they are handmade, so the edges are slightly "off" or wavy, that so in some areas they might be slightly more than 1/8" wide. (Just in case anyone is familiar with them, they are Grazia Landscape series, in the "seashore" color.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

M

Mr Tiler

Re: Does Mapei's Avalanche grout have a "pinkish" undertone to the whi

I found Mapei white grout when dried had a very light grey tinge to it, I tend to use other makes of white nowadays.

is that the bianco white mark? I have a little mapei sample kit here courtesy of sir-ramic, it doesn't have that avalanche white colour but the bianco white has a slight grey to it

F

Fun2Learn

Re: Does Mapei's Avalanche grout have a "pinkish" undertone to the whi

Oh- sorry guys, I didn't realize that the color names AND numbers are different. I took a quick look at the Mapei UK site and their grout chart and it looks quite different than our U.S. colors. I didn't see anything that looked like the Avalanche. Perhaps a Mapei rep might know if it is even available in the UK. Thanks anyway!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Does Mapei's Avalanche grout have a "pinkish" undertone to the white? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi after some advice . Just finished the shower cubicle , used a Mapei white grout and the grout...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB