Discuss doin a kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

Whiteso Man

wuld lyk sum advice on starting a kitchen floor.. i no wen ur bein taught ur told to find ur center point an putting ur first tile ter wuld luv to no how an experience tiler does it.. if i was goin to do it by finding my center point i wuld tink i wuld start from the middle an run a line of tiles up 1 side so u could get ur cuts in an start from ter an work ur way bak wuld this b a wrong way to do things

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi whiteso,yes centring the room is a good start

from that you need to lay out your room by checking how many tiles you will get in before yo come across your cuts to the perimter and how the cuts look

if the cuts are small /slithers you may want to keep your centre line but instead of having your centre line as a grout line you could push the tile halfway over it still keeping it centred and seeing how the new layout will land i hope this makes sense

you want to avoid impossible cuts especially on things like cupboards/recesses/staircases etc
and avoid small slithers you also want a decent sized cut going to door ways so thats not a weak spot for heavy traffic and it also loks unsightly

G

Gall.B

so its a setting out question then, diffrent people have diffrent rules one of mines is to always be a full tile from a door threshold but you need to spend time making sure you dont end up with slither cuts as a result etc you need to take time to get it right and figure out your options but your right centring is a general rule, first of all you need to find out how square a room is. you should spend best part of half an hour setting out.

W

White Room

a gauging stick could you explain this please..thanks for the advice

Lay a line of tiles including spacers, I use a straight peice of timber against the tiles and mark the centre of the grout joint...

If the tiles are retangle do a mark for the longer lenght and turn the stick over and do the same for the smaller lenght of the tile..

If you seen what I mean.

G

Gall.B

I would make a gauging stick to set out but would start laying from the furthest point from a door etc...<br />
<br />
It's all in the setting out though
<br />
<br />
A gauging stick (staff) is a must, your floor will end up coverd in lines & marks as you try n work out the perfect set out, you should know what size all your cuts and where before you even consider laying a tile.

Reply to doin a kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the...
Replies
Views
We recently completed the (rectified porcelain) floor tile installation in the bathroom and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
doin a kitchen floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.