Discuss Dot And Dab - Will It Have To Come Up? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jaycy99

Hi all,

Just had the bathroom floor tiled - well almost , the builder walked off after a disagreement.

The floor job is 8 square metres of ceramic tiles on a plywood boarded wooden floor. It was primed and I think PVA was used.

The adhesive is Mapei Rapid Set flexible.

The builder left his plumber on his own for the day to do the floor saying to me "He's got 20 years tiling experience, I've only got 4 years. In the day the job was 70% completed - but with no grouting done.

When the builder turned up the next day, the first thing he did was to lift 2 0r 3 of the tiles and they were redone. When I asked what the problem was he said with a shrug of his shoulders "You could blame the tiler, you could blame the cement or maybe something else."

Anyway, I let them get on with it, but the program of work and the electrician about to turn up meant that the floor was still unfinished - about 90% complete now and still with no grout - and the following day they walked off site.

When I was cleaning up I noticed you could still see the plywood between most of the tiles and a corner of one of them was broken.

I had a quick look on the internet to see some tiling being done and read some stuff about good and bad practise etc. Suspecting the adhesive had been applied using the dot and dab method I investigated a bit further. I made some feelers out of wire coat hangers to see that if there were voids under the tiles, how big they might be.

In some places I was able to insert a 4-5 (nearly 2 inches) cm wire along the edges of the tiles and swivel it through 180 degrees without feeling any cement. overall the gaps along the edges of the tiles varied from a cm or so up to this 4-5 cm.

Sorry about the rambling preamble, but my question is this - do I have any other alternative to taking up the whole floor and redoing the lot/!?!

Any and all advice will be gratefully received.

JC

J

jaycy99

Hi,
Thanks for all replies so far .

I'm not worried about the underfloor - well screwed down ply on top of well screwed and nailed existing floorboards. It's the fact that the tiles the tiles are not well supported that worries me. So I was asking if there is any possibility at all of rescuing the existing tiling without taking it up.

I did phone Mapei for some advice and they mentioned (but not recommended) the possibility of injecting an epoxy resin type adhesive between the not yet grouted tiles to bridge the gap between the flooring and the back of the tiles. This would at least provide support for all of the tile edges.

If the tiles have to come up and they come up undamaged , is there any easy way to clean them up for reuse?

JC

O

Old Mod

For me, if u start injecting products between the tiles you're possibly going to make things worse.
What I mean is that there's still no absolute gaurantee it'll work and resin will definitely make everything unusable again, tiles and substrate (ply)
It's a pretty safe bet that as it is you are going to face continual problems with breaking and lifting tiles.
So personally I think the decision is either do u try and bodge it and hope it lasts.
Or do you just wipe your mouth and put it right and not be bothered by it again!

What is the thickness of the ply?

As far as using the old tiles, it will be possible if they lift without breaking.
You would probably find that u would have to grind the adhesive on the backs off!
It's a nasty, dusty, and labourious job, but can be done.

S

StevieBoy

Hi,
Thanks for all replies so far .

I'm not worried about the underfloor - well screwed down ply on top of well screwed and nailed existing floorboards. It's the fact that the tiles the tiles are not well supported that worries me. So I was asking if there is any possibility at all of rescuing the existing tiling without taking it up.

I did phone Mapei for some advice and they mentioned (but not recommended) the possibility of injecting an epoxy resin type adhesive between the not yet grouted tiles to bridge the gap between the flooring and the back of the tiles. This would at least provide support for all of the tile edges.

If the tiles have to come up and they come up undamaged , is there any easy way to clean them up for reuse?

JC

I'm with 3-fall on this one, you don't want to be injecting stuff under the tiles etc, at least if you take them up you will have peace of mind if they are then laid properly.

It would depend how long they have been down as to how easy the adhesive comes off the back of them. If they have been done recently, you may be lucky and be able to remove the adhesive with some elbow grease and a very sharp scraper.

Good Luck!

J

jaycy99

Hi all and thanks so far,

Might have been wrong about dot and dab - I've taken up a couple of tiles to get at the broken one and rather than dot and dab it looks like "paste all of the tile except for the edges and corners" if that makes sense.

I don't suppose it makes any difference to the advice so far but here's a couple of pictures.......

Btw, they weren't too difficult to get up and most of the adhesive was left stuck to the floor.

PICT0474.JPG PICT0476.JPG

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Dot And Dab - Will It Have To Come Up? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi everyone, Going through a major refurb on the house and recently had a 13mm limestone floor...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB