Discuss drilled into gas pipe in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hey guys just wondered if anyone had drilled into a gas pipe and what happened afterwards

Iv been doing work for a friend laying tiles in her kitchen
All work done and final thing I said I'd put down was a carpet to tile trim....
Went to do this today and with it been concrete floor I drilled holes for the screws to hold the trim in place.....
I managed the first 2 fine but then the third went through too quick and I could smell gas so I turned the gas off

I got a mate to pop by who works in gas and he said it looked like the pipework was installed wrong to start......
A lite more research and the pipework shoild be a minimum of 25mm under concrete but this was 14 when I measured it

Obviously now its waiting on insurance to see it and see where we go

Just wondered if anyone had done anything similar and what happened in the end

House had been built around 40 years ago

Thanks

Yeah I'm a plumber so if it was water I would of sorted it but I don't do gas

Update today she rang insurance and they are happy for the section of pipe to be replaced so this saves digging the house up anyway

Just waiting on a mate to pop by this afternoon then we can get it sorted.... Unfortunately I'll have to take a couple of tiles up but better than half of the floor

I'm glad it wasn't like yours Ajax123.... If there had been a screw put in and a slow leak and I had left it then it could of been really bad.... This way its a problem that shouldn't come up but at least its ok to sort out

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I had a electric shock from a steel bath once when I told the foreman,he sent the sparky round ,and he tested the bath and found it was live turned out the chippy had screwed thru the wire and into a pipe, the home owners where due to move in ,in a few days,think they had a lucky escape.

Thats "shocking"...:smilewinkgrin:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Very similar to me, I Hoover the floor, then prime with spray adhesive, then fit bar with grip fill. Something a carpet fitter showed me years ago, works very well.

Do they stick well?. ...I've always drilled and screwed mine....deffo sounds quicker and less to go wrong....is it just standard spray adhesive and grip fill you use?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to drilled into gas pipe in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
I had some advice here a while back on laying Porcelain Tiles on Outside porch , I followed...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB