UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Drying time? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I've recently been asked to quote on a job where a customer has tiles that have lifted from the conservatory floor. After asking a few questions regarding said dodgy installation I discovered that the tiles had been laid no more than a week after the conservatory base had been cast. Subsequently they are all coming up,my question is after taking up the tiles will I need to let the floor dry out before refixing the new ones. It is a few years since the job was originally done.

Thanks.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Ok I suspect there am be more to this than meets the eye. Moisture could b the route cause but it is likely that there is a combination of issues. Is there any underfloor heting. What sort of size is it. What sort of temperature range does the conservatory experience. Is there a damp proof membrane under the concrete. Is the concrete sound or is it cracked, spalled or dusty. Was it primed. was the adhesive suitable. When after tiling were the tiles trafficked.

It is probable that all will be well if you Retile now but I for one woUld want a lot more info before committing

There is no underfloor heating, floor area is 17 sq metres ,it catches quite a lot of sun so there will be a fair temp swing not sure about the condition of the concrete base as all the tiles are still down. Amazingly only a few tiles are quite loose but on closer inspection and after tapping most of the tiles you can hear that they aren't fixed to the floor. I suspect that incorrect adhesive may have been used also.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It may be that as no underfloor was present a flexible adhesive was not used. This would fail relatively quickly due to the thermal cycling in the room due to solar gains. You will not really know until you start lifting tiles but given the age I suspect it will be dry enough to tile onto. There my have been other issues but as long as you follow the general simple principals of tiling you will be ok. If there is a problem with the concrete you might be able to uncouple

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Drying time? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.