UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Edge tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

ag1975

I've been tiling a friends bathroom with my partner and have ended up with a difference of about 20mm on the length of one wall. We weren't sure of the best way to go about the job, but we started with a full tile in the most visible corner of the wall and ended up with roughly 75mm tile at the top and 55mm tile at the bottom of the other end. It doesn't look great but it's in the corner next to the door frame so not too visible.

What could we have done to avoid the slightly odd look of the tiles tapering in in the corner?

Thanks in advance :D

I

Ian

We thought about centring the walls but thought it a good idea to start with a full tile.

So ALWAYS centre the walls in all cases??

Not in all cases but it will always help with your setting out if you find the centre of the wall first. Remember also they there are 2 centre points, 1) by placing a grout line on the centre line and 2) placing a tile over the centre line. Option 2 effectively moves your setting out over by half a tile which will (in most cases) help to eliminate small cuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

ag1975

Not in all cases but it will always help with your setting out if you find the centre of the wall first. Remember also they there are 2 centre points, 1) by placing a grout line on the centre line and 2) placing a tile over the centre line. Option 2 effectively moves your setting out over by half a tile which will (in most cases) help to eliminate small cuts.

Thanks.

We did actually centre the wall, but thought a full tile would look better (it doesn't :)).

So when should you start with a full tile?

A

ag1975

I shouldv'e mentioned...it's a brick pattern. We started on the longest wall, with a full tile top row/half tile 2nd row down and finished with 70mm tile top row and half tile 2nd row. We finished the top row with 75mm tile as it'll be inside the shower cubicle.

The wall we have the tapering tiles on is next to this wall. As we started with a full tile on the first wall, we decided to start full tile again on the 2nd wall.

Does that make sense? :D

A

ag1975

Does it make sense?
Unfortunately it's the setting out that can make or break any tiling project for DIY or otherwise.
And since you also added in post 1 - 'it doesn't look great' - I wonder why your asking after the horse has bolted!
Sorry if I sound negative but it's just another case of the 30 minute makeover.

You do sound negative :)

It's our first go at tiling and the person we're doing it for said the way we've done is it ok with her so we're not too worried. Thing is, we're (me in particular) have just started out in property renovation and looking to become multi-skilled and do as many jobs as we can ourselves, so we're very much beginners. Next job I'm doing is my parents bathroom and thanks to this forum I've got more idea about what I'm doing already.

Just saying! :)

T

Time's Ran Out

As all above setting out is a crucial part of any tile installation, never fix your first tile, until you know where your last tile will go.:thumbsup:

I see your still quoting that old phrase I taught you!

I still use the one you initiated many years ago on completion of yet another masterpiece - 'Another monument to man's dexterity in the face of adversity'.

I can see a separate thread starting.

A

ag1975

As all above setting out is a crucial part of any tile installation, never fix your first tile, until you know where your last tile will go.:thumbsup:

The thing is, we DID know how the tiles were going to look and it's worked out how we thought it would, trouble is it looks a bit crap. I wasn't sure about the layout myself and if I'd have done it myself I'd have found out the best way to do it. However I'm not the boss so left it to him to make the decisions :)

I'll know for next time, this forums very helpful.

A

ag1975

We've only bought one property so far and a lot of the work was done by someone else ie the plastering, tiling, plumbing, kitchen/bathroom etc We did the garden, painting/decorating and other general stuff. I'm ok with the decorating so that was fine.

My mate and his partner manage the company and I'll be learning the trade side. I've already learnt a lot from the first house and I'll be getting on a few courses and getting practice in wherever I can. I wouldn't try and do a pro job without knowing I could do it and I know how skilled these jobs are, so I know it'll take time :)

A

ag1975

If you are operating in property development and charging for it you should really know what your doing, we are after all talking about skilled trades.

20mm seems a bit much to me are the tiles level & plumb

We've only bought one property so far and a lot of the work was done by someone else ie the plastering, tiling, plumbing, kitchen/bathroom etc We did the garden, painting/decorating and other general stuff. I'm ok with the decorating so that was fine.

My mate and his partner manage the company and I'll be learning the trade side. I've already learnt a lot from the first house and I'll be getting on a few courses and getting practice in wherever I can. I wouldn't try and do a pro job without knowing I could do it and I know how skilled these jobs are, so I know it'll take time :)

Tiles are level and plumb but the walls aren't square.

Reply to Edge tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
Evening, Hope this post is in the correct section. If not, please feel free to move! I'm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.