Discuss Electric Fire Install - Gas pipe consideration Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Electric Fire Install - Gas pipe consideration Discussion ThreadElectric Fire Install - Gas pipe consideration Electrical Advice

Disclaimer - this isn't directly related to electrical matters. Rather it's a question about a situation which has cropped up during my going to quote an electrical job, and is basically me looking for any hints as to how to make certain (or as certain as possible) that I'm not going to drill through a gas pipe. As such hopefully its still not off topic here, after all these are the kinds of things us domestic electricians (in my case fairly inexperienced compared to most, and still in the process of getting fully qualified, but still) come across on a regular basis. Also, as per Dan's recent circular about posting more frequently, I thought there can't be any harm in at least asking for any advice or suggestions.

I've recently started doing my own jobs (domestic) having now nearly 2 years experience working with a local domestic firm. Level 2 diploma and 18th Edition qualified.

I have recently quoted a job scheduled for later this week which involves mounting an electric fire (on a plug top) to a lounge wall. The location previously had a gas fire installed there, and the old gas pipe can be seen protruding slightly into the room out of the wall, having been capped off. The customer is wanting the new electric fire mounted just above where the pipe sticks out. Directly above the gas pipe (maybe 30cm) there is an uneven area of plaster where the customer has filled in the flue from the gas fire. They said they didn't see any gas pipes in the process of filling that in.

Basically, they've ordered one of those long LED electric fires you might often see recessed into a media wall. I've installed a few in the past, but this one they are wanting it just bolted to the flat wall. The unit states on amazon that it is wall mount-able, and it does come with brackets for this purpose. I have advised the customer this isn't typically how they are situated, and it might look a bit odd, but they've now been able to look at the fire and they say they are happy with this...

Read more

Electric Fire Install - Gas pipe consideration for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to Electric Fire Install - Gas pipe consideration Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Lou

Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Staffordshire
Website
https://www.TilersForums.com
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)
Business Name
TilersForums.com

Thread Information

Title
Electric Fire Install - Gas pipe consideration Electrical Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Electrical Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond