Discuss Electric UFH vs Wet UFH - My Verdict in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

ralsmith1

For the last 3 days I have been extensively researching how to heat my new build bungalow in the most energy efficient way. It is a super insulated shell at the moment - at near passive house levels. It's only 50sqm - all open plan (except bathroom) with 'Optitherm' double glazed windows and skylights. Heat Recovery Ventilation is going to be used. Tiles and UFH throughout. (Radiators not an option as VERY high ceiling heights in some areas.)

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to use lots of solar water heaters as my planning consent won't allow it. Great shame!

So here goes a brief description of my research findings on this.

My original idea was to go with an Air Source Heat Pump and a small solar water heater and to use wet UFH. This would mean I could do away with a gas boiler and just have an immersion in my cylinder for back-up.

However, having researched heat pumps in detail it seems that they have one serious problem (apart from the CoP going down in Winter). Apparently they are VERY prone to icing up in the UK's damp climate - and not just at sub-zero temps. The exhaust air from the pump is very cold and moisture in it will freeze. The machine will then have to go through an energy sapping de-frost cycle to perform again. I have been told that this can happen as frequently as every half hour in bad conditions making their efficiency worse than even elec immersion heaters.

T overcome this I looked into blowing exhaust air from the HRV over the Heap pump but decided this wouldn't make much difference to the icing problem.

The nail in the coffin for this option was that the heat pumps need servicing and the condensers need replacing before the 'pay-back' is complete.

So I decided to look into the new 'ribbon' type electrical UFH. I will not need to heat the property frequently (if the insulation does its job properly) and I thought this may be the way forward.

The heat-up times are amazing for this product and with the type of house I am building, this is very important - I need to heat quickly and efficiently and let the insulation and HRV do the rest. (Wet systems simply don't have this very important quality - what with having to heat up the whole screed before you start on the actual room.)

I have found many mixed opinions on forums about these systems and the people I have talked to have given me mixed feedback as well. I am actually fairly convinced they would provide me with an inexpensive heating method. However, I have not been able to find ANY tech data supporting this.

For this reason and the fact that elec heating is widely know to be expensive, I have thrown this option into the 'not so green' recycling bin.

So, wet UFH was the only option but with the standard warm-up times they have, this wouldn't work either.

HOWEVER... I have found a retrofit product that can be laid ON TOP of a screed. It uses 18mm boards that a 12mm pipe is pushed into and you can tile directly over the top of it using flexi tile adhesive. The whole kit including manifolds and thermostats will cost me less than £2k. (I'm new to the forum and don't think we're allowed to mention brands so I won't.)

I am going to put about 30mm of crush resistant insulation directly underneath it to avoid heating up my screed and I am very confident that it will achieve warm-up times as fast as elec UFH.

I am now fairly sure (definitely not 100% though) that the way forward for me is to have a modern condensing gas boiler running the wet UFH system described above and heating my hot water. for the following reasons...

1. We know that wet UFH is cheaper that elec. Ribbons might come close to it but def won't beat it.
2. Having wet UFH keeps my options open for the future. I can easily fit electrically operated heat pumps (if gas becomes prohibitively expensive), solar water heaters if the planners ever relax (!) or any future water heating invention (if I invent a time machine). With elec UFH I onl have one option for the future - electricity.
3. I'd be putting in a boiler anyway to heat my hot water.

On a final note, one pet hate of mine with wet UFH is that the boiler is constantly switching itsef on and off. My solution for this is to get the bioler to heat water in a cylinder. The UFH then heats its water by passing through a coil in this cylinder. This is doubly sensible as it will mean retrofitting solar or heat pumps is easier.

Please send through comments if you think my research has led me down a garden path rather than a yellow brick road!!!

G

grumpygrouter

I heard recently from friends that are going through a church conversion into a dwelling, that Ground Source Heat Pump systems are no longer being specified by the firm of architects they are using for the project. Apparantly, the "coil" takes so much energy from the ground around it that in 5 years the ground almost becomes a permafrost and the heat recovery from the ground deminishes to almost nothing. This results in needing to sink another coil into the ground somewhere else at very great cost to keep the system functioning........

R

ralsmith1

I heard that as well. Apparently, where the coils overlap (as they are laid in a looping fashion) is where the problem starts and spreads from. Trees roots are getting frozen, killig trees as well. In Northern Germany, where there are major problems with this (as there is not as much sun as in the south) they are thinking about banning Ground Source! Basically, colder climates including ours, do not have enough sun to 're-charge' the ground to stop permafrost setting in - making the system inefficient. If anyone is doing these works, I would roll out my ground pipes in rows without loops and leave at least 3 metres between the rows. Keep away from trees and make sure the area is south facing.

But hey! To keep the thread on track . . . sorry about the long-winded thread starter. I wanted to give as much info as possible so that anyone who is going through the same research process as me will have a lot of time saved for them!!!

If anyone else can be bothered to get through reading it and has a conflicting opinion please post a comment.

Also, if anyone has any costing data supporting the use of elec ribbons compared to wet UFH then please send through/attach.

S

sWe

However, having researched heat pumps in detail it seems that they have one serious problem (apart from the CoP going down in Winter). Apparently they are VERY prone to icing up in the UK's damp climate - and not just at sub-zero temps. The exhaust air from the pump is very cold and moisture in it will freeze. The machine will then have to go through an energy sapping de-frost cycle to perform again. I have been told that this can happen as frequently as every half hour in bad conditions making their efficiency worse than even elec immersion heaters

Over here in Sweden, it's damp and cold/freezing well over half the year, and heat pumps are all the rage. The air-heat-pumps sold over here are insulated, and don't freeze. My parents had two air-heat-pumps installed 5 years ago, and in the winter, they're more or less coated with ice, but that doesn't affect them due to the insulation. Since they switched from a regular boiler to air-heat-pumps, they've lowered their yearly electricity costs with 1/3, and the capacity of the two pumps is something like 30% greater than the old boiler.

Insulation, that's the secret...

The problem with air-heat pumps though, is that unless your house has very open spaces, the heat doesn't spread effectively. You don't seem to have that problem though. I'd still use wet UFH for a little bit more even temperature, and for the added comfort. If your foundation is well enough insulated, there won't be much heat loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

ralsmith1

Thanks sWe

This is the sort of response I was looking for . . . when you say insulated, do the units sit in an insulated box or does the actual unit itself incorporate insulation?
Any chance you could tell me the name and model of the unit?

Just for ref, my floor build-up is...

Tiles & Advesive - 15mm
Wet UFH Overlay system - 18mm
Crush resist Insulation -30mm
Screed (reinforced) - 50mm
Newton damp-proofing membrane - 8mm
Celotex Insulation - 50mm
Slab - 200mm
Celotex - 50mm
Standard DPM

Walls are...

Brick - 100m
Cavity - 35mm
Celotex - 50mm
Thermalite Block - 100mm
Bubble foil - 4mm
Celotex - 25mm
Insulation backed plasterboard - 18mm

S

sWe

The unit itself is insulated, and the tubing has really thick insulation too.

The make is Panasonic, and they've got four model ranges made specifically for the climate over here, CE (CE9HKE & CE12HKE), NE (NE9GKE & NE12GKE), HE (HE9GKE & HE12GKE), and a smaller "floor" range (E9GFE-2 & E12GFE-2).

I've found two UK resellers:

Environmental Heating Solutions
Lowergy Home

The international homepage of the Swedish general reseller is:
Panasonic Heat Pumps | LMG

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Electric UFH vs Wet UFH - My Verdict in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Hope you are all having a fantastic Xmas. To cut a long story short I have installed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Electric UFH vs Wet UFH - My Verdict
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.