Discuss Electric underfloor heating with Sparkly granite tiles? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

saxon

Hi,

We're in the process of renovating our kitchen and have chosen these tiles in 600mm square size: stonesuperstore.co.uk/p-357-black-starlight-quartz-tiles.aspx

I phoned to order them today and was advised we shouldn't use them with underfloor heating which has rather messed up our plans! The supplier advised we would be using them with heating at our own risk. I have seen other suppliers on the web who claim their sparkly granite tiles can be used with underfloor heating but given they appear largely identical I am now wary.

So my question is can anyone advise just how much of a risk this is? I was planning on using 150W/sqm electric heating for around 10m of the 18m area. It's in a kitchen with a suspended wooden floor. Plan was to plywood over the floorboards, then lay heating mats, then put levelling compound down and then tile on top using flexible quick setting adhesive. Is it likely that the tiles will curl up? Can anyone recommend an alternative supplier whose tiles are compatible with underfloor heating.

Am I being paranoid??

Help!

Saxon

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I would not recommend these tiles with UFH, they contain resin and once heat from the mat is transferred to the tile it is possible for them to curl.

You would be better using granite or porcelain with UFH.

I have a feeling that one of the members on here asked a question about the same tiles that had been laid in their conservatory, but no UFH. Just the heat from the sun through the glass caused the tiles to lift.

You will also need insulation boards before the mat goes down so you don't lose heat and waste money.

S

saxon

Seen quite a number of dishing faults with these tiles on UFH so I agree with the others on this thread.

Thanks guys, we had a decision to make - the tiles we wanted or the underfloor heating so we've decided to go with the heating - now the dilemma is what tiles. To be honest we've found everything really easy to decide on apart from the tiles. Gloss white kitchen, most walls will be white except one wall which will be orange and the odd accessory in orange too like bar stools and lamp over breakfast bar. The question is what tiles now and in what colour. We definitely don't want a wooden floor and we have been told if we want tiles porcelain is the strongest so:

Choices are:

Off white porcelain with a texture
Light/mid/dark grey procelain
Or black with a texture.

We seem to be going round in circles with this because white looks stunning but may make it look a bit like an operating theatre and may also not be very practical with muddy feet and spillages, grey worries me because it can look a bit dismal on a rainy morning in October and then there's gun-metal or black which may look classy. We're keen to avoid anything that looks too traditional because it's a 1960's house and the kitchen is to be very high tech in gloss white with stainless steel appliances. We've chosen orange as the accent colour because it's so 1960's and so happy and should suit the period of the house quite well.

Room is 20m square and reasonably bright and sunny.

Views anyone?? Have you seen any gloss white kitchens with floors that have made you go 'wow!'

Saxon

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Electric underfloor heating with Sparkly granite tiles? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views
We had a water underfloor heating installed and tiled over. 3 months later we noticed many tiles...
Replies
Views
Amethsyt
A
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB