Discuss En-suite tiling question in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

weirdfish

eventually going to start redoing our en-suite, new tiles, shower tray/enclosure etc etc.
Part mix of stud walls and dry lined solid walls, so I'm expecting to have to replace the plasterboard before tiling over.
Questions, is it best to tile straight on to plasterboard, and not skim before hand, also, which primer is best, ( I won't use pva ), also, around the shower area is it best to use a different primer or tanking product, or is it safe to just use the same for all the room.
Thanx.

O

Old Mod

If u are going to use plasterboard, it's better if you can use moisture resistant and not skim.
Typically a skimmed surface has weight limits of approx 20Kg m2, whereas plasterboard without a skim has a limit of approximate 32Kg m2.
Primer is really adhesive dependant, each manufacturer produces its own, it's best to stick with their recommendations in case of any dispute further down the line.
As far as wet areas go, if the budget is available, it will always be advantageous to tank the area before tiling.

S

Simon benn Leeds

+1 on the points 3_fall has made.

And personally I use an extended set, cement based adhesive for wet applications I.e shower areas, this will imo be better if you have porcelain or stoneware tiles.

Megaseal elasticacted waterproofing/ tanking system is something I've had very good success with in term of priming and watersealing, easy for diy, and cost effective.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to En-suite tiling question in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have a stone resin shower tray which I am planning to remove (with a due sense of...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB