UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss ennerdale tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I don't do much in the way of geometric victorian tiles but i believe these are porcelain. I'd expect a good, midrange manual cutter would break these no problem. Something like the Rubi TS-40. There's a link to Rubi on the left hand side of this forum. But cutters really depend on how much you want to spend.
Again, i'm not 100% certain but i also believe these tiles (if installed intenally) require sealling? Especially if in a high traffic area like a hall, or kitchen.
There's a few very good tilers on here that deal with geo's very frequently. Hold out and see what they recommend.

M

Mike Mike

Hi there.
i install geometric s all the time and have no problem cutting olde English and original style with my Rubi.
you have to be careful though not to chip the edges so i try to score and brake them keeping the tile away from the gauge but also placing a finger on the brake at the bottom of the tile to stop it from bouncing.. hope that makes sense .

Can I ask (because I've never seen these tiles before) are they flat on the bottom side, or do they have the dimples that old tiles had for laying on a bed of sand and cement?).

I ask because I have some spare antique Höganäs klinkers in my basement and, being an anorak, I've just been down there to try and cut them. They are 12mm thick, plus the dimples, so about 14mm in total. TS40 could not touch them. TR400S could cut them but chipped the corner (left side of the cut), TX900N could cut them but the quality of cut would not be something i'd want on display, say if you were cutting shapes and the cut edge would be visible. Finally, my trusty old Maxi Separator could cut them, even thin strips under 1cm wide, but again, not a clean cut line. I decided the only way these would ever look good would be a wet cutter. (Or a bottom of the range Sigma as I'm sure all the Sigma fans will claim :lol:).

If you get to lay these geometric tiles a lot then you're lucky. They look stunning, and it must be very satisfying to create something so beautiful.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to ennerdale tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.