UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss ever had this happen... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
turned up to tile a kitchen splash back today, as i walked through the door the customer handed me a piece of graph paper with every tile carefully draw to where he wanted them to go.....all 500 of them!!!

he had spent two days marking every tile on his piece of graph paper after measuring the kitchen, only problem was he forgot to allow any grout lines..:lol:

i asked him if he used to be an engineer, for 45 years he said,............what a surprise..:lol:

F

Fliselege

Did a job once where the customer had specifics for where the mirror was going and some other bits so we set it out, boss with drawing in hand shouting out measurements, me marking them out, and we started tiling, had to look a drawing myself for one reason or another and I noticed the customer had drawn his 20 x 40 tiles standing up and we'd done 1 wall with them lying down, boss thought I was winding him up and grabbed the drawing and you should have heard the swearing. He phoned the customer to see if that was the way he really wanted them, and down they came....

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Engineers are buggers to tile for. Even electrical engineers or some other engineers that's nothing to do with general building / construction.

Had one bloke get us move a loo once as he measured the back of it to the wall and it was 3mm out (only due to packing out the tiles a little to get them sit flat due to the original exterior wall in the house being a couple of mm out in that place).

The same bloke also kept nicking our tools and when he was out we looked for them, found them in an en-suite he was doing himself. He was only copying what we were doing in the main bathroom and doing the en-suite himself!!!!!

We kept finishing the walls fully then and took the tools home with us each night so he couldn't see what went on behind the tiles and whatnot. That stumped him. lol

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
It was quite a big job and we had a shed load of tools. The job was for Ludlow Tiles (the old MD of BAL owns that) and his lads had their hands full with it, so he called us in. It was near Wales and we drove there daily so to save time we always left all tools on the job. Had a pipe bender go first, so I got another off the van. Then a trowel. Got another. After a few things went we thought this aint right. The Ludlow lads are straight as a die and they said they hand't touched them. So we waited, he went out, had a quick look in the loft (as we worked in there a bit) just to make sure we hadn't been fools and misplaced them as you do. And we hadn't. So we ventured into the spare bedrooms, still nowt. Peeked around the main bedroom door and plasterboard was leaning up suggesting there was something going on in there. Stormed in and found all the tools we were aware we had lost and then some others we hadn't needed but were in our toolboxes.

Took them all back, put all the tools in the van, and carried on (we would have probably quit the job if it wasn't for the old MD of BAL who was close mates with my boss at the time).

The guy even took photo's of the carpet on the stairs afterwards and tried to get a discount from Ludlow for some scuffs, that apparently just brushed out like mud (the lads did that we already finished then).

Just one of those buggers that you'd love to smack in the face.

Don't tell anybody this but the boss pee'd in his header tank before we left. lol

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I've done jobs for a few engineers, and that could explain why so much stuff doesn't work properly. They always seem to forget one thing ie grout joints.

Had one who ordered a sheet of glass for his shower and forgot to allow for the thickness of tile so the glass hung over the tray by 10mm.
If customers start asking me about sizes etc I say to them "I was going to be a brain surgeon, but the tolerances weren't fine enough so I became a tiler'. Usually stops them dead.

T

Topshop

OK, So I used to be an engineer - I guess always an engineer if once one - but I am much better now.

I tiled a backsplash for an engineer after installing his granite countertops (benchtops to you guys) in his kitchen. He had a few extra tiles so he wanted me to install them behind his range stove. In America we almost never move our stoves unless it needs service. The very last tile he had at the floor was one that had a small corner trimmed off. It drove him nuts. Then he got ****ed at me for charging him for the extra sq. ft of install labor. I told his wife I used to be an engineer and I was glad I didn't have to be like her husband anymore.

C

CDS

Went to price up a bathroom job a few weeks back. The cm is a surveyor and gave us a detailed plan and list of materials etc that he wanted to be used. All very well presented and actually made our job easier as the guy obviously wants the job done properly.

It was all going really well until we pointed out that the cms tape measure was faulty.... and in order to use the vanity units that he had so carefully selected that we would either need to knock down the front wall or cut 2 inches off the side of the bath!!

Back to the drawing board then!

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Our plastering tutor years ago got me and another lad a bit of cash in-hand work for an engineer doing his kitchen, we were only apprentices then, and had told him about these new trowels call twitchers,we could not afford them then as they were the latest things on the market, anyway about a week later we finished his work which he was very pleased with after checking everything to the mm , he said don't go ! i have something for you , well he had only found out all about the twitchers and made two set's one for me & one for the other lad, but he made them out of stainless steel , we were so chuffed !! and they were better than the one's on the market as they were stainless !!! :thumbsup: i still have them today:lol: so it proves not all engineers are a nightmare

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to ever had this happen... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
GRRRR. Friend of a friend has been pestering me to tile their house. Whole downstairs floor...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
R
hi there I'm not a tiler but my partner is (24 years in the trade). My partner has recently...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.