Discuss Expansion joint query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I'm doing a floor tomorrow, I have got to include a 1.5m expansion joint where a small concrete section joins the main t&g floor, the problem is that if i put the tiles straight at the base units opposite, the the expansion joint will over lap the gap by about 3cm at one end, would I get away with this? the joint its self will be silicon, whats the minimum size of grout line i should use for this? Any advice is appreciated, thanks

R

Rob Z

Phil, I use a product called Noble Seal CIS for membrane installations.

The manufactuer permits some amount of offset of the joint by installing the product to a specific spec for placement of the membrane. Even though the product isn't available to you in the UK--maybe there is a similar product available that you could use? Basically, you install the membrane at least three tiles wide, over the joint, and then set the tile on top and place the movement joint as close as possible to the joint below the membrane.

R

Richard Edwards

Hi -- I have recently installed a Genesis 10mm wide expandsion joint - directly over the break in the substate and at a ' pinch point ' and it works well, as both sides had under-f heating and with two separate circuits and the potential for widely different temperatures, I insisted on it.

I have also used a section of discontection membrane and whilst its not ideal it was ok for a short run in a door-way and overlap with about 500mm each side, fixed above and below with high polymer enriched ady.

As a side issue here, it is advisable to clean out the break in the substrate if you can to give a small visable gap, especially if it full of building waste.

Reply to Expansion joint query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m just about to renovate small bathroom and replace bath with shower. We have very hard...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, i have been a tiler for 15+ years and employ a few senior tilers as well with 20+...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have done a few smaller tiling jobs previously, and I'm about to tackle our kitchen...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, First time posting on a forum but cant seem to find any advice that is matching my...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Poynton, cheshire

Thread Information

Title
Expansion joint query
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.