Discuss Expansion Joints- Floor Restaurant in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
Hi guys,

I am really after a second(third fourth or fifth!) opinion, with regards to expansion joints. Having mostly done commercial work for A De Cecco, Tedesco's. I am used to referring to an architects drawing with expansion joints, sizes, specs etc.

However I have just over a 400m2 concrete floor to tile. I don't know exact tiles or tile specs, as they haven't arrived on site (they are coming from overseas). One thing I do know though, is that a floor of this size will need expansion trim throughout, least given the fact it has sat unoccupied for several years, no heating, etc.

I have attached a rough sketch of the floor plan. I was planning on x.p joints minimum every 5 metres in each direction. The drawings are only a rough sketch. I have yet to finalise the sizes, so it could very well change. More than likely at the main entrance, as I wont accept an x.p joint running right down the middle of it.

However I welcome peoples views, opinions and experiences of what they think on this one?
Thanks in advance :)

1111.jpg

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
one of the reasons for expansion joints is settlement you say the floor has been down 20 yrs I would tile and run in a silicone joint every 6 to 8mtrs

The only downside of that would be it is a restaurant floor, so there will be medium to heavy foot traffic on it. Over time the silicone will deteriorate, were as the thinking behind the expansion trim is minimum up keep.

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
At long last the tiles have arrived!!!! (customs held them, they came from china)

started the job today. Saturday, Easter weekend not ideal but needs must. Just over 50m2 for a Saturday shift is good going. Tiles aren't the nicest but I never picked them. Ended up going for a "cross" style with expansion.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
It has been a while since my last update. As you can imagine, I have got my hands full with this job. Anyhow the job is going well. Pretty much got the big floor tied up. Three bathrooms, several columns, an entrance- walls and floor and a 40 metre outside wall still to complete, but we are getting there! :)

On another note I am the guy in the black t shirt, last picture. Caught in a rare moment actually doing some work haha

20160326_170044.jpg 20160327_135908.jpg 20160327_151649.jpg 20160328_170444.jpg 20160329_163719.jpg 20160329_163737.jpg 20160331_082843.jpg 20160331_082904.jpg 20160331_082912.jpg 20160331_111055.jpg

I

Italy

It has been a while since my last update. As you can imagine, I have got my hands full with this job. Anyhow the job is going well. Pretty much got the big floor tied up. Three bathrooms, several columns, an entrance- walls and floor and a 40 metre outside wall still to complete, but we are getting there! :)

On another note I am the guy in the black t shirt, last picture. Caught in a rare moment actually doing some work haha

View attachment 80873 View attachment 80874 View attachment 80875 View attachment 80876 View attachment 80877 View attachment 80878 View attachment 80879 View attachment 80880 View attachment 80881 View attachment 80882
NEW for me. I like
in Italy I've never seen so installation.
good job. next job using.
try the same module.

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
Well here is the finished article! Four weeks all in this took. Just shy of 700 metres of wall and floor tiling. I am surprised and delighted to announce that there was only 3 tiles (I know only three!!!!) that needed replaced due to the large 2+ton buffet machines being moved into position. All in all a great job with a few more in the pipe line.

just a wee add, yes all tile trim was mitred for this one. Personally I find mitring slower but easier than cutting trim straight.

I am hoping to get all the pics uploaded to my website in the next few days.
www.dynamictiling.com

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg

Last edited:

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
Minimum manning level was 2 tilers and a labourer. When the bathrooms started I had four tilers on site. After starting the job (a week in) the job grow arms and legs and nearly doubled in size. Meanwhile I had 3 bathroom renewals and several kitchens to get through.

The main floor was myself and another tiler and labourer. 5 days to complete tiled and grouted.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Expansion Joints- Floor Restaurant in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for some advice regarding tiling over expansion joints in floor screed. I’m getting...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB