Discuss Expansion joints in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sean SML Tiling

Hi guys need a little advice please on a job I viewed today. Its a 60m floor 1 room but 45m has ufh and between the new substrate and the existing floor there is a 2/3mm gap. Customer doesnt want to go to the expense of ditra but also knows the effect it could have on the tiles if theres movement. I was thinking if there was an expansion joint directly between the 2 substrates could that reduce complications of movement? All suggestions appreciated

Thanks
Sean.

D

DHTiling

Yea 41m of anhydrite piped ufh.

Heated calcium sulfate floor screeds, movement joints should be detailed:
 Over structural joints in the underlying construction. These movement joints through the screed and tile bed should coincide with and be designed to accommodate the same movement of the underlying structural joints.
 At perimeters of floors where the screed abuts walls and upstands.
 As a movement joint through both the screed and tile bed dividing the tiling into
areas not greater than 40sqm. The areas bounded by movement joints should be
square to rectangular with the width to length ratio not exceeding 5 to 8.
 As movement joints at significant changes of width of the screed surface and in
doorways.
 As a bay joint isolating areas of screed with separately controlled heating circuits.
 At doorway thresholds between separate areas of use.
 At junctions between heated and unheated sections of the screed.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Ali 36m2 is this one room? if there are doorways I would put expansion joints in them, also perimeter joints.

Sorry Phil, I was more asking for the dividing of the area. Perimeters and doorways are a given. But with opus pattern and in a room this size (more so the length) I was wondering what people's opinion would be.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Expansion joints in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
D
Hi guys, I'm tiling a large floor area 30 square meters (rectangle shape room) using 600x600...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 57709
D
Hi all, I have done a few smaller tiling jobs previously, and I'm about to tackle our kitchen...
Replies
Views
Hi, I would like a bit of advice regarding 2 tiling areas if anybody can help? First is a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB