Discuss Extenal tiling should I protect tiles from rain until grouting? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

heavytrevy

Cement glues dry via chemical reaction not evaporation ? unless your thinking bout Mastic type glues.
Trapped water under tiles will always result in efflorescence and patchy grout , doesn't look pretty

Trev

I see what your saying but the adhesive has a high water content in it when the tiles are initially laid...grouting same day would trap this underneath the tiles.

I'm heading over now to cover as you lot have made me really paranoid!

:yikes:

R

Richard Edwards

Spot on replies to this issue

Bal fast flex is a polymer enhanced cement based ady with fine rubber crumb and is a brillant ady to use on that application. I wont ask you what prep you have done prior to tiling as the tiles are now down and you only get the colly wobbles and go into a decline even further.

Now about this water under the tile.
If it has got wet already, ie rain on it - cover it and wait for a really warm spell so the tiles heat up and wait a couple of days to dry out all the voids between the ady bedding, then grout it and be sure to add a polymer to the grout or grout with a top qual flexible external rated grout . If you managed to keep it dry - grout asap in the dry.

F

FreeD

Ok to follow on from this the customer has now requested that the top of the tiles are cleaned. The tiles have been relayed and some have algae etc on them. I was planning on using Aqua Mix heavy duty tile and grout cleaner. Guess i'm going to have to do this before grouting (they are using a light colour grout)? and be careful not to get the cleaner/water between the joints? then grout...what do you recommend?

R

Richard Edwards

Hi FreeD
I am a bit confused here - If the tiles have / had Algae on them, then presummably there must have been an extended time gap between inital fixing with Bal Fast flex and the present time. When u say that the tiles have been relayed, are you saying that u have lifted them recently and relayed them ?

I would consider using a deep cleaner or biocyide to kill the algae and you will have to accept that washing water and rinse water will get in to the grout joints. Then wait for a dry spell with sunshine on the tile surface to dry out the undertile before grouting.

If the balcony is free-draining I might consider a pressure washer then allow it to dry out fully before grouting -- Sounds a bit of problem there me old lover [Thats Bristolian speak for my mate ]

If you are using light coloured grout externally - you might consider grout protection spray or solution from LTP range

Reply to Extenal tiling should I protect tiles from rain until grouting? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Extenal tiling should I protect tiles from rain until grouting?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.